treating thrush with nystatin?

I went to see the ped because I am showing symptoms of thrush on my nipples, the baby has a white tongue but no 'cottage cheese' or lesions or rashes. He prescribed this based on my description of my symptoms.

any tips or advice on this? He said if this does not clear up my symptoms I will need to get checked myself. I took baby in because I do not have medical.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is the right GSE. You carefully, this stuff is strong, squeeze just 10 drops to every 1 oz od distilled (must be distilled, tap won't do) water. There are 8 oz in one measuring cup if that helps, so that would be 80 drops per measuring cup. This mixture is safe to spray on everything, even furniture. If you don't sanitize everything that touches your breasts and your baby's mouth you will both probably have thrush for a long time.

ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Yep, my son had thrush and thats exactly what my dr prescribed and it worked for him. When I took my son to his dr, he just had a white coating in his mouth...there was no "cottage cheese" or anything with him either.
    landons.mama

Answer by landons.mama at 4:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Nystatin didn't work for us either time we were prescribed it. It only works 50% of the time. Gentian violet worked great though. My lactation consultant recommended it for us. The thing you have to realise is that if you both have it, you both need to be treated for it or you'll just end up passing it back and forth. Also you need to sterilize anything that goes in baby's mouth - paci's, toys, bottle nipples, etc. I would highly recommend the GV, it's messy, very messy and will stain skin and clothing, but it will clear up the thrush.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I am not good at sterilizing, I can rinse things off. she doesnt take a bottle or pacifier, it would just be toys.
    Anonymous

• is there a certain cleaner i use or do i have to boil her toys and throw away the ones i can't boil?
    Anonymous

• You will have to be treated too or you'll just pass it back and forth. I've had thrush forever. My immune system just can't kick it.

Boil her toys, nipples, pacifiers, etc. Wash all clothes, bras, blankets, towels, burp cloths, bibs, etc on hot with 1 cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle. 1 Tablespoon to every 1 cup of water kills thrush or 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract for every 1 oz of distilled water kills thrush. The grapefruit seed extract mixture is great to mix in a spray bottle. You can spray your nipples after feedings and you can spray toys, furniture, anything at all that goes in your baby's mouth.

Check out Dr. Jay Gordon's website for some great thrush treatments.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Rinsing stuff off won't do a darn thing for thrush.
    ThrivingMom

• I am screwed then thriving mom, if it is thrush! My washing machine doesn't run on hot water. Ugh.
    Anonymous

• GSE spray sounds good. Could you look on amazon.com and tell me which one is the right one?
    Anonymous

• Nystatin didn't work for us. It was a huge hassle and didn't do anything. We both went on Diflucan (pills for me and liquid for him) and it cleared right up.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2010