lots of volunteer jobs for teens, no paying ones. Same in your area?

My dd has looked and looked, the only thing out there is volunteer work. Not even babysitting jobs b/c people arent going out for dinner or a movie anymore. Guess the employer can kill two birds with one stone. They get free help and they dont have to hire an adult to do it. I told her at least volunteer work will look good on a resume

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Wow... I am always shocked when I see stuff like this... There are so many jobs aval. here it's more about picking which one you want than it is about actually finding one. They may not all be great jobs, but some are really good... Now, volunteer stuff? I wouldn't have the slightest clue where to look for that kind of stuff here. Everything pays at least min. wage around here... Most are $7.50-$10/hr... Tell her to keep looking, there is stuff out there, you just have to really look.

Check Snagajob.com, Craigslist.com and Backpage.com for local min. wage or p/t stuff...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Houston area is doing fine as well. Plenty of jobs for teens and adults alike:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 4:46 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• i had to call about 10 teens to find a babysitter for during the day. All of them were too involved in sports and other activities and didnt have time to work.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• OP here Im in Southern California and our economy is soo bad here!
    Anonymous

• It's like that here; mainly because all the parents are having to take on extra jobs so the PT market isn't as open as it used to be. Plus no one feels like hiring here yet. Not even fast food places or Walmart.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Is your daughter a Red Cross certified babysitter? Has she advertised her services? What about dog walking? Does she have any office skills?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• my kids are too young to look for paying jobs.
    but I too am in so. cal. and things are fine where I am.
    The housing market is actually going up too!
    Anonymous

• Lord, if I could only find a dependable baby sitter in Toledo Ohio! Teens around here don't want to be bothered. Our economy was VERY depressed, and some will say it still is. My DH was laid off for over a year and a half and just got called back the end of May. I have managed to keep my job as well. We are truly blessed. I look at all the grown people walking in the streets etc knowing they have no jobs. I pay my teens to watch my two little ones, so they make money that way.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2010