What do you think about disciplining your children?

luccy

Asked by luccy at 4:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I believe in teaching them how to act and what's expected of them beforehand rather than react after the fact. So, I teach as opposed to discipline.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I think it is one of the best things we can do for our children. Even when they are teen-agers, they need the security of defined boundaries and consequences for crossing those. I think children will sometimes do things to force their parents to do that. We were pretty strict by most standards, and our children are grateful that we were.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I think discipline teaches your children that you LOVE them because you are setting boundaries that they are expected to follow and if they don't that there are consequences.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I think it is a part of parenting.
    Anonymous

• I love Coala's answer. 100% agree that it is a necessary part of parenting to set boundaries for them & provide consequences if they don't follow the rules. You're preparing them to be adults, and part of being an adult is following the law - there are consequences if you break the law; you're disciplined by fines, jail, even late fees on unpaid bills. There should be consequences if they break your rules as well.
    sjwarner78

Answer by sjwarner78 at 1:21 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I think mothers all over the country and world have different ideas and ways of discipline. I guess it sometimes falls down to how you were raised by your parents, your culture beliefs, etc. I personally think that its a must. Kids need discipline in their life's or they are going to run you as if your the kid. That will not go down in this house. I firmly believe that kids arent disciplined enough now a days and dont have to pay for their bad behavior, and thats why their always in trouble. Now theirs a couple forms of it. Some people believe in spanking, others dont. Discipline does not mean you have to spank your kid, it could also mean their are going to be consequences for unexceptable behavior. I personally see nothing wrong with spanking, but to a point. There is a difference between spanking and beating your child...some have a hard time seeing the difference! I really dont even need to go there with my kids though.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 2:00 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Disciplining comes with the job of being a parent. It's a tough job but a necessary one.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 8:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010