Did you have a graduation party/celebration when your child finished kindergarten?

My 5 year old DD has her last day of kindergarten on wednesday (6/23) and I'd like to have a little party to celebrate her finishing her first year of school, she didn't go to pre-school. I was wondering if other parents also celebrated the end of the first school year and what sorts of things did you have to celebrate? I was thinking of having a cake and just getting together family and friends this weekend. She has 7 cousins who live in the area and would likely attend so I'd also appreciate any suggestions for fun games for the kids to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No,i don't believe in celebrating "graduations" until high school and college. We are expected to hit these milestones. If you celebrate every little victory,kids expect special treatment for everything they do. I think kids lives are filled enough with birthdays and holidays.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• LOL
    no. EVERYONE passes Kindergarten.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Umm, no. We had a celebration when she graduated from 8th grade.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• My DD is having a little celebration in her classroom on the 23rd. They will have a little ceremony, and they get to dress up and she feels so great about it. We will not have a party at the house, I think that is a little bit much, but she does deserve to be proud of herself, I won't just treat it like it's nothing.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• no but i did take him to Chuckie E Cheese that afternoon. i didn't think to much about it being a celebration though.
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 5:53 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• i was going to suggest something like chuck e cheese or build a bear depending on what she likes. just her a the cousins or best friends. yes my son's bff had a get together when she finished prek this year because like your school, it had a ceremony that you were supposed to invite family to so they felt like they should feed them dinner for going.. so whatever you want but if you dont want gifts tell people becuase they will think the need to bring them because she graduated... lol (happened at the prek party)
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 6:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• We didn't have a party but we went out to eat. But we don't throw parties for anything (not even birthdays) so it was no different than any other celebration.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• "LOL
    no. EVERYONE passes Kindergarten. "

{OP}: Actually no, not everyone passes kindergarten. Two students in just my DD's school are not going on to first grade and there are 4 other elementary schools in town that I'm sure have one or two students that aren't going on to first grade. My district has some of the best schools in the country and even at the age of 5 a student isn't going to automatically be pushed forward. Also it's not really a celebration of passing kindergarten, its a celebration to mark her finishing her first year of school.

"If you celebrate every little victory,kids expect special treatment for everything they do"

I'm not saying celebrate every little victory - but the first year of school is something special. It's her first real interaction in the social world without me or another relative right at her side. It's a child's first taste of independence and true sense of accomplishment.
    Anonymous

• No. I wanted my kids to aspire for something higher than kindergarten graduation. I don't think they should have kindergarten graduation. They have graduations from kindergarten, 5th grade, 8th grade and then 12th - not to mention the various college graduations. How many do you need?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• {OP}: There's no 8th grade graduation at our middle school. There also isn't a special graduation for Kindergarten either as far as the school goes - I'm just having a family celebration. This wasn't something she aspired too either - at least not the party part. She has no idea I'm planning anything special for her this weekend. She won't have another graduation celebration until she finishes highschool, and the another when she finishes college. She'll have a graduation at school for 5th grade but I won't be throwing her a party, probably just a special dinner. So lets see...she'll have 1, 2, 3 - 3 graduation parties counting kindergarten.
    Anonymous