Mononucleosis in Adults

I got a painful ear infection earlier this month. It came on so quickly that I went to the nearest clinic before they closed because I knew there was no way I was going to be able to get through the night with the severe pain it was causing. When I woke up two days later I couldn't hear very well out of the infected ear. The pain was gone but I went to see my family doctor regarding the hearing loss. I still had severe infections in both ears but that it was beyond the eardrum and had to be treated with antibiotics. Two days on the antibiotics I had sore swollen glands in my neck, my throat hurt and I was running a fever. Then I developed a VERY ITCHY rash all over my body. Of course back I went and she ordered blood tests. She diagnosed it as Infectious Mononucleosis and is monitoring me weekly with blood tests. I have been off work and she says I likely won't go back till August! Yikes! Anyone been through this?

Allergic2Stupid

Asked by Allergic2Stupid at 4:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Health

• con'd - Not to be rude but to save time I am looking for answers from people who've had it or know someone who had it an adults ONLY. It is different for children and teenagers and what applies to them doesn't always apply to someone who is 34 with two kids and a full time job. Thanks all :)
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 4:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I had it in my late teens. I was a senior in highschool and worked full time. It took a few months to get over it. I did have to take a week off of work and school and just rest. I remember that I was miserable and slept A LOT. I was very run down for weeks. They didn't do blood tests on me weekly she just kept checking the size of my spleen to make sure that it wasn't enlarging. I hope you feel better soon.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Thank you :) The blood tests each week are for liver functions - mine were extremely high (my Dr said she'd never seen anyone's this high before). Apparently it's a side effect of the mono and is actually a form of hepatitis caused by it. That freaked me out a lot but she said almost everyone that gets that particular side effect return to normal once the mono clears up. Still...not nice.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:17 AM on Jun. 22, 2010