is it possible for kids to be happy without extended family?

My husband and I are not close to our parents or siblings. Is it okay for kids to grow up with out much contact with extended family? They see them like twice a year and that's it, and even that is tense. Just wondered if anyone else is in this situation and how you are handling it. Is it enough for kids to have parents and just their immediate family? they both have plenty of friends also.

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 5:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• We are the same way! We see my hubby's parents like every 5 months...or less. We see mine even less than that. My son is only 3 but he is perfectly happy with it this way.
    Anonymous

• Yes it is possible, and yes it is "okay".
    Just make sure the child has plenty of support and adult friends that YOU AND YOUR CHILD can trust!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I am divorced and Ive got to say that it hasnt always been easy. My family lives 3000 miles away. His family lives three states away. I have done this thing all on my own, and its been challenging at times. I guess around the holidays, is when I miss family the most. I have always felt bad that my kids have grown up without their grandparents being in driving distance. They dont have much of a relationship with my mom. Heck, my son has never even met my mom. As long as you have your husband and an intact nuclear family. thats really all you need. Communication over the phone and through the mail helps some, but its not the same as having family close by.
    Anonymous

• I don't really want my child to have much contact with my family so I guess it really is okay. We have some great friends that we trust and we have a huge support network outside of my family. My child doesn't really know any different and she is exceptionally happy.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Absolutely! You can build a new "family" with friends and neighbors.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Yes, its doable. They will always grow to have cool neighbors(sometimes), school chums,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I hope so. the nearest cousin/aunt/uncle for my kids is well over 1000 miles away.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 6:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Your kids will be ok. It is nice to have a huge family with aunts, uncles and cousins, but my kids seem to have done fine. We have a small family, my parents have passed and my oldest brother, whose kids are the ages of my older ones doesn't live nearby. Sometimes Tom regrets not having cousins his age, he is the youngest by 15 years, however, family friends make up for that. Family holidays are open to all friends, both ours and his and he seems to enjoy his other aunts and uncles.
    elemental713

Answer by elemental713 at 6:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Absolutely. We have what we call our "urban family." Kids and parents from daycare, neighbors, friends, co-workers and two four-legged siblings. I would like to spend more time with my family, but they live far away. We do the best we can with what we've got.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 6:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• thank you so much everyone for your encouragement. of course they see the extended family a few times a year, but for the most part they are just with me and hubby and school friends. None of our siblings are interested in the kids..too bad. and their loss
    ilovedogs1967

Answer by ilovedogs1967 at 7:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2010