Why am I sooo worried?

I am not a worrier, I work really hard to put things into perspective and not worry.
But my son is going on a week long vacations with dh's parents and I am freaked out about it. I know they will take good care of him, I know that the likelihood of a plane crash is very low, but I am still worried.
Help! How can I get past this worry and be happy for him to have fun?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 5:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Read a good big book, watch that movie you have been wanting to see, have a big glass of wine, Good Night! Thats for the first night, what to do for all the others I really don't know.You will pull through hang in there.Drink the Wine.
    Sunshine007775

Answer by Sunshine007775 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Call him every night that he is gone and talk to him and tell him you love him and goodnight. That should ease your fears a bit.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I don't think you can. I worry like that when my DD goes anywhere. I just try to take that time and do something I enjoy like reading or watching a movie, it helps pass the time. I am beginning to believe it is just part of being a mother, my dd is 3 and I still check to make sure she is breathing at night. I hope you get some peace of mind:)
    BandME

Answer by BandME at 5:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• That sounds awesome! How are you spending your child-free week?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I have two younger ones still at home, so no child free week here.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:33 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• You worry because your a mom. It is only natural and really you don't want to get rid of that feeling. You want to relax some but it is good that your nervous. It means you care.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Worry away mom. That's what we do best. No advice here. By the way here is a heads-up. it never goes away all that worrying,that's what gives us the grey.You will worry when he has his first sleep over, his first date, his honeymoon, his marriage, when he is pregnant.So get use to it. It becomes your friend, you know the kind, that annoying voice type of friend.And when it leaves, you say oh that wasn't so bad.All you can do is find your comfort zone in the worry. Don't worry your self sick,upset stomach, headache, the runs,can't breath,panic attacks.A little worry is good, you ramble on about all the highly impossible, but yet possible bad things that can happen.When you do this he will hear it, and learn about all the good, and the bad that is out there in the real world., your husband will be right beside you telling him, she is nuts, don't listen to her.Yet, his mother did the same,he is worried to men just do it different
    Sunshine007775

Answer by Sunshine007775 at 11:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• call your son everyday to catch up on things. keep yourself busy-read a book, watch a movie have a glass of wine or go on a date with hubby. We are moms and it's normal for us to worry about our kids because they are a part of us.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 3:47 AM on Jun. 22, 2010