How old?

The bible claims that some lived to be hundreds of years of age. Do you believe this and why?

What does your science or belief say about people that lived for hundreds of years of age? Or if you dont believe.

3gigglemonsters

Asked by 3gigglemonsters at 5:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i dont think about it or question it, god made it happen so i believe
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 12:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I do believe it, mostly because there were not the dangers that there are now. They didn't have McDonald's or cars or any of the things we have now that could kill us. I guess that life expectancy was longer then because there were fewer people on the earth.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 5:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I don't see it as an impossibility in the early evolution of our species. Many things have changed since we first evolved, why wouldn't life span be one of those things. There is some proof (although I don't have links at my finger tips) that life spans of those in very very early civilizations lived to what we see as extremely old ages. But even this proof is circumstantial and obviously wasn't the case for every person on earth. Personally, I believe that each of us have a purpose in life and that death will not come until we have fulfilled that purpose. So for early man I can see how their purpose could have been a little more time consuming than that of your average person today... Populating the earth is a big job, even with help - lol!

Do I think people were living to 900? Meh, I don't see anything as impossible. Improbable? Yes. Impossible? No.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I dont think it was impossible. I dont know about hundreds and hundreds of years, but things were extremely different back then. There was no pollution, their was no fast food places, drugs (well that we see now), and people were probably just naturally healthy. Who knows
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 5:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Our lives today tend to be limited by our actions. We eat tainted and unnatural food, drink poisoned water, inject and ingest any number of toxins in the name of "healthcare" and science. The air we breath is full of toxins and chemicals. Every aspect of our lives is full of poisons and chemicals... Then we all wonder why we die early.

Then we have to look at the simple fact that early civilizations didn't have the illnesses we do today, they didn't have the added stresses we do today, always trying to one up the Jones, No cars, or other violent modes of travel. The list really goes on... Point being, life was more natural and had less health and life threatening things involved... So the idea that in that environment the human body could sustain life longer makes a lot of sense...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:43 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• no...not possible then. Their measurement of time was different and the guys who wrote the Bible passages definitely did not go to Harvard. ;=) They lived much shorter lives because they had no doctors who could idenify dieases and no medications. They knew nothing....they didn't live several hundreds of years.
    Anonymous

• There's no way we went from living 900 years to 80 on average now! Perhaps they meant months or something. They didn't have toxins or fast food back then,but they had very little medical type care and had the chance of being eaten by animals on a daily basis! Cavemen lived about 35 years. Are we suppose to believe life expectancy went from 35 to 900 and to 80 nowadays!?
    Anonymous

• I don't believe people lived hundreds of years. I do believe advanced arithmetic was a difficult concept for the vast majority of people and after the first 30 or so years the rest blurred into "a lot". Over time, someone prone to hyperbole decided "a lot" equals 900 or 300 or however long made their story more dramatic.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Not possible.  People live longer now than they ever have and it is still very uncommon for people to reach 100 years.

Having said that, my granny had a big family birthday party for her 100th and she received a birthday card from the Queen.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:33 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I find the Hebraic scholars' view as more believable. It wasn't that Adam or other biblical patriarchs lived to ACTUALLY be 900 years old. It was simply the Jewish way of designating that that someone had lived to be very old. Archaelogically, the average age to live to was around 25. Anyone who lived longer than that was considered ancient. And Hebrews use numbers in a mystical way. Names are given numerical value, as are letters in the alphabet.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2010