Why my 12 yr old son has reading problems?

My son is bright! He will be in 7th grade this fall. He does not like to read and has comprehension issues. I know he is not paying attention. He aced math and science. Hard to say what to problem is. Does anyone else have this problem?

Petra61

Asked by Petra61 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Could he be dyslexic?
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 5:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• My daughter is just the opposite - great in reading, English, etc. - she is in all advanced classes except for math. She struggles with it so hard. Try to find a way to make it fun for him... buy him books a child his age would enjoy to read just for fun. Set a good example and read yourself - talk about the book you're reading at the dinner table.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 5:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I would push to get him tested. Our Son had the same problem. Come to find out with him it was a language barrier. He was stuttering as he was reading. Not only out loud but when he read to himself. Which also caused comprehension problems. Since he spent one year with a speech therapist he has gotten over it. It's the small learning problems that get over looked and thought of as just being lazy.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Teacher here:
    It may very well not be his fault mom. Especially if he does well at other subjects. There are numerous disorders out there that can make reading and comprehension difficult for him. Catch it now so that he can receive help and possibly achieve past this issue :) Tell his Dr that you want to have him tested or talk to his guidance counselor at school to check on testing. Either way it should be covered by your school system!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• neebug: there is a math disorder too! I have it! Its called dyscalculia, google it and check out the list of symptoms!

I struggled forever in school and just COULD NOT get math, even when I was really trying! I was punished and felt bad my whole school career about it!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I just thought that would add that my son was your son's age when he was diagnosed. He now loves to read. He's now 15

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Have him tested, may just need a little tutoring.
    Sunshine007775

Answer by Sunshine007775 at 11:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Have him tested for any Learning Disabilities. Put any request to the school district in writing OR pay for it to be done privately by a child psychiatrist.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I was in the exact same situation with my son. Turns out he had a convergence insufficiency issue with his eyes (the muscles in one eye weren't working correctly). We had him tested for everything under the sun, including dyslexia, up to that point but it turned up nothing. Once his CI issues came to light, we took him to a developmental/behavioral optometrist who prescribed vision therapy. He went through several months of treatment and has been fine ever since; he can read without tiring after 3 minutes, he comprehends what he's reading, and his grades improved without his hardly trying ... all because his eyes were finally working properly.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:55 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• The basics of reading are taught in first grade. If he did not have a good reading teacher that year so that he had a good foundation for reading, that could be the problem. It happens. Not every teacher is a good reading teacher. I would look into getting him some tutoring over the summer and asking for fundamentals of reading to be taught. My niece went through this with her daughter. She got the tutoring, and she is not doing very well in school.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:59 AM on Jun. 23, 2010