Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone ever moved kids out of state after a divorce?

My DH and I have been thinking about moving to another state. My biggest worry-thought is that I have two children from a previous marriage. They are 13 and 14 now. I am wondering how easy or how difficult it will be to get court approval to move them out of state. I live in MI and we are thinking about going to GA to be closer to his family and to also "have more for our money". Would love to know what someone else's experience is with this. Was it pretty easy to do?


Asked by jenettyshome at 5:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 5 (94 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • In many states you only have to tell the other parent that you are going, not the court. You can call a family attorney and ask. Most give free consultations. You can also try and link on Know the Laws and find your state then look up about leaving the state with children

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • Yup....and it didnt work. It was almost like I was trying to run away from the problem instead of facing what ever may come head on. I was so sorry that i did it, and once I was out there it was extremely hard for me to get back. I wouldnt do it if I were you unless you have a lot of support and family out there.

    Answer by bellamommyof4 at 5:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • My mom moved me out of state after my parents divorce and I was so angry with her for that she robbed me of alot of years I COULD HAVE spent with my dad but since we didnt have the money to travel back and forth I missed many years with him and when I became an adult and moved out on my own I moved right back to be close to my dad again

    Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 5:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • btw I was 12 when she moved us away... And my opinion didnt matter at all

    Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 5:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • I'm not worried about that. My DH and I have been together for 9 yrs. I'm wondering how hard it is to get court approval to move out of state.

    Answer by jenettyshome at 5:43 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • Sorry to hear that, Sweetpea. But that doesn't really concern me either anymore. I used to care but the amount of time my ex spends with his children is pretty small. I really think that if we moved out of state and he just had a few weeks a year with them, that the time he spent with them will be better quality time.

    Answer by jenettyshome at 5:45 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • Well from a "legal only" point of view I would think if you can prove it is in the best interest of the children and you can provide for them better in ga then it should be pretty easy to get approved.

    Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 5:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • He would also have to consent.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 5:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • i would not do it if he is in regular contact with them. they need their father and you dont want them blaming you for taking them away from him. it will only be a few years till they are grown too. to actually leave the state you would need the fathers consent and here in Texas kids can decide which parents they want to reside with at 12. what if you move and the kids hate it and decide to move back with dad? you lose them! think about all these things before you make any big move.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • If he doesn't contest, and you can provide legitimate information that it is for the best for the children, and they agree they are all for it {the children} they are of age to be asked.They also may want to work out a visitation agreement between you and your ex. The children get to spend summer vacation with him while home form school. or holidays,and such. Good Luck

    Answer by Sunshine007775 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2010