4 or more kids ranging in ages from birth to 10

Who has 4 or more kids and how do you manage a schedule to keep your house from total chaos????

I have 4 and 3 step kids. I need some SERIOUS advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• i have 5, and the oldest is 6. sometimes there is chaos and sometimes there is peace!
    i like to cook double meals, and freeze one so there are options when things happen!
    in the summer we do a lot of burgers and hot dogs. dh and i do grilled chicken on salads, and we grill the chicken once a week. i cut up all the produce on grocery day or the next day so it is always ready to go. i like to have pre packaged snacks ready to grab.
    try to do laundry 2 times a week, that seems to keep things caught up enough for us. some find one or two loads a day works great for them.
    i have two dry erase boards, one with a calendar, and one with future dates, a grocery list, a costco list, a target list, a to do list and a honey do list too!
    we aren't doing sports yet, but when we do, they will not interfere with dinner or bedtime.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I am not in a similar situation, but I think you rock to take on such a heavy load. Don't forget to find "me time" every week to keep sane!
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• My mom had 4 kids.
    Every weekend we all had to do chores. We each had our own chores and no one was allowed to go anywhere or do anything else until the house was clean. Period. If you had something planned on chore day then you better get your chores done before chore day.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Well I don't wanna put off my duties as a mom to my children or step children. Don't get me wrong they have their own chores but just to clean their own messes (room, areas) and little things here and there. I don't want to put more on their shoulders to keep them from having playtime and just being a kid. I chose to have a large family so I feel the responsibilies are mine not theirs.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like you have a lot on your shoulders. Kudos to you. Do the best you can and don't beat up on yourself. Sometimes chaos teaches a lesson to us all. Nobody is perfect, mistakes will be made, enjoy as much as you can cause those kids will be grown and on their own soon enough.
    elemental713

Answer by elemental713 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• They all have chores. My 8y/o and 6 y/o (boys) clean their room and the bathroom, 8 y/o can load the dishwasher if I need him to. My 4 and 5 y/os clean the living room and dining room. If you give them regular chores your not putting off your duties on them, you are giving them life skills that they will need. My mom never made us do anything and it has made it very hard for me and my sisters to learn to keep house. The rest of the day my kids spend time outside wreaking havoc on the neighbors, we live in apartments. Chores never killed anyone and being a child isn't all about play play play.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Even my 16 m/o picks up her toys in the living room.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• You aren't burdening them. You're teaching them. It takes a FAMILY to do what you think you can do alone. They dirty the dishes too. They dirty the kitchen floor and the living room floor too. they can learn the value of work and mow the yard for you too.

I had plenty of chores when i was a kid and never once felt like i was loosing out on anything in childhood.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I have 4 kids between 4 and 10. They are responsible for any messes they make that includes doing their own laundry (for the older 3), picking up their toys, keeping the living room toy free, cleaning up messes they make in the kitchen when they get their food and stuff like that. I'm not their maid. If they make a mess they can clean it up. They also take out the trash, empty the dish washer, carry in groceries, help with yard work and anything else I ask. They are part of the family/household and have to pull their weight. They are also expected to help each other out when needed.
    It doesn't always run so smoothly (especially with my oldest who has a behavior issue) but they know what is expected. They have plenty of time to be kids and play. Doing their chores should only take like 30 minutes a day if they would pick up after themselves as they go instead of waiting until it is overwhelming them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• OP~ ok this question was not meant for a debate on whether my kids should have chores or not. They do have some chores, but I am not willing to give them the big chores. I would like advice other than give it to the kids to do!!!
    Anonymous