Old Wives Tales

I know this question has been asked a MILLION times! But: Was the old wives tale true for you when it came to the heartbeat? We find out in 2 weeks what we're having (if baby cooperates of course), but at our last Doctors appointment the heart rate was at 160bpm. My doctor said "that's a girls heartbeat, we'll see if the old wives tale is true". So...was it true for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The heartbeat was true for both of my kids :) And my Dr actually told me is was semi reliable. Not fool proof but good guess anyways :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• yep. it was above 160 the first time and usually after that. i had a girl
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• No my son's heart beat was in the 160's at the very beginning of this pregnancy but now it is in the 130's
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 5:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Nope it was opposite.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• This has actually been a pretty popular theory in gender prediction for a long time.

The heart rate of your baby fluctuates as they grow and as they move. Heart rates start out slower, and then by 8-10 weeks run in the range of 170-200 BPM (beats per minute).

As your approach mid-pregnancy the average heart rates run between 120 - 160 BPM.

If your baby moves, his or her heart rate goes up, just as your heart rate does with movement. However, none of these is related to the gender of your baby.

A study was actually done to test this theory. The study actually shows that there is no correlation between gender and fetal heart rate. Although they did find a correlation between heart rate and gestational age prior to 9.2 weeks.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 6:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• A study was actually done to test this theory. The study actually shows that there is no correlation between gender and fetal heart rate. Although they did find a correlation between heart rate and gestational age prior to 9.2 weeks

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

I read that too.
    Anonymous

• With our first, nothing was ever mentioned by the doctor or nurse as to what they thought the gender might be. With our second, the nurse thought it was a girl because of the heartbeat. She was right. At this point, I'm inclined to believe it works sometimes, maybe even half the time.
    Anonymous

• Nope. All of mine were all over the place - one kid would be low one appointment, high the next, average another...there was no correlation for any of mine.
    Anonymous

• Was not true for me my i am having a BOY and his heart beat was in the 160 and i am 36 weeks now and his heart beat is still high it is now in the 150s
    Anonymous

• Nope! Alyssa's heartbeat has ran between 140's and 150's so we thought for sure we were having a boy that is until we saw her.
    confusedgirl919

Answer by confusedgirl919 at 8:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2010