What is the best high back booster seat to get around $50?

My son is too tall for his convertible car seat now. The shoulder straps are below his shoulders, so it's time for a high back booster.

My son is 39" and 38 pounds, he just turned three.

I've found plenty of high back boosters, but there are two problems I keep finding. Number 1, it doesn't have a 5-point harness, and number 2, it only harnesses up to 40 pounds, and my son is only 2 pounds away from that.

My son is too squirelly to be constrained by just a seat belt, so he needs to be harnessed still.

Unfortunately, we can't afford more than $60. That is our absolute max. There has to be SOMETHING out there that will work for our price range, but I haven't found it. Please help?

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 6:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• The ones they sell at WalMart and Target. That is where I have gotten all of my carseats and they work great and my children have survived car accidents in them.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:07 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Target and Walmart do not have any seats that harness past 40 pounds for less than $130.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 6:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Well dang... My daughter is like 37 inches tall and 4 years old. She is still not 40 pounds so, I guess that is a good thing for me. I guess I have no advice, Sorry.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• There is a Car Seat group here; if you can't find it post in the Newcomer's group.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 7:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• It will be VERY difficult to find what you are looking for. The cheapest on that I have heard of is the Evenflo maestro-its fairly new, and harnesses to 65lbs. Big lots used to sell one for around 85...i cant think of what its called..and it harnessed to 65 too.... My 5yr old is in a Graco Nautilus..if you look around online you may be able to catch it on sale... is there anyway you could take the $60 you have and save up? Or maybe sell some things? I think it would be worth it to save up for a Nautilus, they are such good seats, and I got mine for $150, but ive seen them cheaper. I had to save up for it, both my kids needed new carseats at the same time...so we ate ramen noodles for a week so I could get them both good seats. My son has a Evenflo Triumph Advance, but the harness only goes to 50lbs..
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Safety 1st Apex 65...thats the name of the one from Big Lots...look online for it, you might could find it in your price range! Good luck mama... hope you can find one,and please keep that baby in a harness..its so much safer!
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 7:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I just bought 2 Evenflo toddler seats, high back that can be used with the back or as a booster. They are good from 30 to 100 pounds. I paid 39.00 for each of them. They have cup and snack holders on each side of the bottom of the seat. We like them.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:27 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• evenflo maestro. harnesses to 50lbs then boosters to 100lbs and will cost you $70 you can get it online at sears and amazon. Sometimes sears and kmart have it in store. next best- safety first apex65. It harnesses to 65lbs then boosters to 100lbs. Runs about $99 at big lots, but you must have high seat backs or head rests to use these. After that is the Graco Nautilis- harnesses to 65lbs boosters to 100lbs- high and low back. Runs about 120-150. Britax Frontier- harnesses to 80lbs boosters to 100lbs, runs about 200. Britax frontier 85. harness to 85lbs boosters to 120lbs runs about 270.
    Your best bet if you cant afford much is the maestro by evenflo.
    lundaylove

Answer by lundaylove at 3:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I agree totally with lundaylove. The Maestro is gonna be your best bet.
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04988642000P?vName=Baby&cName=BabyGear&Travel&sName=Car%20Seats&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a.

I know its $20 over your budget, but you can make it work somehow.
    MommyBoha

Answer by MommyBoha at 6:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2010