Another Holiday question...

One of the answers on the Atheist Holiday question made me think. Why is it that only SOME religious based holidays are nationally recognized? Shouldn't we add the religious holidays of all nationally recognized religions to our calendar and whatnot rather than just a few? I have had issues more than once taking a day off for religious days because my bosses didn't believe it was really a holiday... I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had this issue.

Thoughts?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• My husband's new employer solved the problem by recognizing NO holidays. You get so many days off, you can take them when you want. And there is to be NO recognition in the offices of ANY of the holidays you may or may not celebrate. Every day is just another day. Including birthdays.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 6:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• It seems unlikely another religious holiday will be added to the federal calendar anytime soon with the push of Separation of Church and State. With Christianity as the majority religion in this country, Christmas will most likely stay. Easter is not recognized the same way since it's on Sunday, and government offices don't close on Good Friday.

I'm sorry you have to deal with an unsympathetic boss.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 6:23 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• As far as I know the only religious holiday still recognized on a federal level is Christmas. I can't seem to form any other thoughts on this at the moment as to why it is still recognized or anything.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Could we all please stop whining about how the whole entire world is so unfair to us? You chose your religion and you knew full well what parts of it were challenging and which were not. You must now chose to accept living in a country where other holidays may be the norm. All religions have completely missed the point anyway and holy days are something we either agree on or we don’t. Each of us must chose what is important to us and what isn’t. Then we must live our own lives accordingly. Your religion is yours. Embrace it and stop whining about it or chose another one please, it really doesn’t matter.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 6:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Because it is a way to try and prove that one religion is dominant and "better"
    I have had that issue as well... There was a massive festival for Imbolc I wanted to go to ... my manager thought that it was a lie and didn't want to give me the day off...I asked two weeks ahead of time and everything.. after that, she thought I was a Satanist and stayed away from me.... even tried to work it to where she did not have to work at the same time I was..
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 6:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Here's the deal: During the great immigration waves in the later 1800'S and early 1900's, it was considered desirable for immigrants to become "Americans," preferably as quickly as possible. "Settlement houses" taught english classes practically 24 hours a day. Parents were strongly encouraged to put their children into public schools, where they learned English, the principles of being an american citizen, and "american" holidays. Thanksgiving, Christams, and Easter WERE American holidays, as were secular holidays such as Memorial Day, Labor Day, and Independence Day. Children and their parents had to figure out how to negotiate a place where Jewish and Muslim children were taught and, at school required to participate in, Christians/"American" holidays, while still maintaining their own religious beliefs and practices.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 7:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• You want to point a finger of blame somewhere, regarding the secularization of Christmas? Don't blame the commercialization of Christmas in the decades since WWII. Blame the teaching of Christmas to millions of non-Christian immigrants to this country, requiring them to make decorations, sing carols, and participate in school celebrations of that holiday. THAT's where the secularization of the holiday began.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 7:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• .i have been lucky to work wherever I wound up for a job. Always had 2 personal, and 2 religious holidays.And they could be combined. Christmas always falls around the Jewish holidays. So most businesses were closed.Most of the big business was ran by the Jewish, they have passover. The business would close, giving alot of time off. Hey, I didn't complain, I got time off. I had a friend, who is a Wiccan, and used her time for her own ceremonies. The days could be broken down to hours, if you had to leave early. Like before sundown.
    Sunshine007775

Answer by Sunshine007775 at 8:35 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I think that the recognizing of religious holidays is going to be coming to and end soon. Not soon enough, but soon. I like the idea of a certain number of personal days that you can take on whatever holiday you choose.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I don't think business want more paid holidays for employees. Many religious holidays that used to be recognized are no longer. Hospitals in our area don't recognize Easter as a holiday and many of them are Catholic. DH says this is because managers don't work on Sundays anyway so why pay the employees more for that day? 

IMO most holidays are formed around what works best for the majority.  In the northern part of my state all schools are closed on the first day of hunting season.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2010