why is it that everything my doctor prescribed, cafemom says it is wrong or harmful?

why am i even going to the doctor if its harmful for my baby? what am i supposed to do? just listen to the moms on here? or listen to my doctor?

seriously everything is bashed, the vitamin d drops the fluoride the nystatin

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, here's my cautionary tale about how reliable doctors can be.

In 2005, my mom started losing weight and having dizzy spells. Her doctor diagnosed vertigo and gave her something for it.

A few months later, my husband had to rush her to the hospital for severe vomiting. A surgeon removed an ENORMOUS tumor from her colon.

She had colon cancer. Fought it for 16 months and died.

Her doctor MISSED it, and she had never questioned him.

Medical training is a wonderful thing...but don't fall victim to white coat syndrome. QUESTION AUTHORITY. It could save your life or that of someone you love.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Lol, the mom's on here do NOT have medical degrees. (some may, but i doubt it) Everything you can take probably will have some negative side affect. CM's tend to focus on the bad and beat you down for it. Don't listen to them. I would listen to your doctor - not some stranger on the internet. GL!
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 6:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• If you trust your doctor, why are you asking non professionsal what they think?
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 6:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• stick with what your doc says. the women on here do not have med degrees. they just like to think they know everything.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Do your own research. THEN, If you want to know about more details about drugs and side affects ask a pharmacist. Doctors prescribe but they know little about what the prescribe because they did not go to pharmacy school. Heck, cytotec is still being prescribed and used for inductions when it says right on the label not to because it is dangerous!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:33 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I have noticed that hapening to me many times as well. I always like to cheak things out before I give them to my daughter, however there are always going to be people who will tell you its bad. I have just learned to try and look things up and most of the time find that the risk outway the bennifits. If your Dr is telling you to give your daughter something is is probably because she needs it. Use your own judgement to a certain extent, If you are being told to give her something but for no real reason then I would think twice about it, but the reality is usaly if your Dr tell ya to they are probably right. Dont let a bunch of people online boss you around, use your mommy powers most of the time they wont fail you :) Good luck to you :)
    candlefire22

Answer by candlefire22 at 6:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Are you kidding listen to your doctor!
    Anonymous

• amilee that could not be more wrong. do you have any idea why doctors go to school for 8 years? it's because they are trained to diagnose and treat the conditions they specialize in and part of that is knowing how medication treats and effects the body. doctors do not prescribe without knowing what they are prescribing. why do you think psychiatrists go to medical school and psychologists go to grad school, because psychiatrists learn about medications to treat mental illness which is why they can prescribe medication....and seriously "pharmacy school" rolls eyes*
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 6:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Mom's on here only go by their uneducated opinion.
    It is important to do your own research on things that your doctor prescribes you. A doctor is only an educated guess. They do go to school for 8+ Years, but everything they learned was from a book or someone in the field already. Doing your own research by reading medical studies, other medical reports, recalls, etc can save you from taking something you're not comfortable with. ALWAYS learn about the medication (etc) that your doctor gives to you. Just because they say it's okay doesn't mean you should be okay with it.

However, listen to your doctor over a mom on CM.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• listen to your dr... dr's wouldnt prescibe you something if it wasnt safe. :) good luck
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 7:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2010