Do you agree with this?

I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the rights of the people by the gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.
- James Madison, 1751 - 1836

Do you see how it has applied to this country for the last 80 years and has propelled in occurance over the last year?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Absolutely! I can see it in my short lifetime so far! So much that was when I was younger, that we can't do now. Things we can't say, more regulations and rules because of the "greater good" because people are told that the govt knows better. I personally am glad that people are waking up and taking notice, and starting to take back the control of the government. I can't wait for the next election, to see how we are making our voices heard!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Everywhere I go I see lawns that need mowed and houses that need painted, desperate wives that need an afternoon to themselves and children being completely neglected. If I have to listen to one more 400 lb, greasy, unkempt unemployed, armchair politician whinning about how the world is going to hell in a handbasket, I'm going to scream. You must chose you battles wisely. There is much each of us can do every day to make the world better. You are allowing yourself to get upset over an abstract argument that is impossible to prove either wrong or right. Please take a moment to pour yourself a cool glass of ice tea and go sit on the porch and think happy thoughts. Everything is working out exactly the way it is designed to. Let the Universe run itself while you do everything in your power to affect all the people around you today who are counting on you to be amazing.
    Anonymous

• I agree with him. And what the heck kind of drivel reply is that anon?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Yes, anon. Placing the toes in the sand and letting the warm waters rush over the feet, all while listening to the waves lapping the shore. Life's too short, and besides, none of us has that much control......... Some need to be very careful what they wish for.

Anonymous

• Someone is either 1-smoking the good stuff OR 2-drinking too many Margaritas while listening to Jimmy.

I agree with OP.
    Anonymous

• Good quote, OP.

There are some strange ones out there, Carpy. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• It's just a quote that can be used to inflame people into thinking the US is being taken over by a socialist dictator. (haha, it even sounds stupid.) As far as what it really means, of course there is some truth to it. However, it doesn't completely explain everything, nor is it a comment on the Obama admin, since the guy died 150+ years ago. I imagine Glenn Beck is batting it around to make angry people angrier.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• There is just as much truth to the first anon's post as there is in the OP. They are both accurate in many ways. However life cannot be summed up in a line or two.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Oh yes, it;s the progressive way. Nudge, Nudge and it's done before they know it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I imagine Glenn Beck is batting it around to make angry people angrier.

I never heard him utter a word since I don't watch him. However your type of apathy is the reason such subtle takeovers can be successful.
    Anonymous