How often do you think birth control REALLY fails?

Most regular birth controls are said to be 99% effective. Condoms have been found to be 85% effective. The mini pills is around the same as condoms I think. Charting has been found to be nearly 100% effective when it's used properly.

I personally have been using Fertility Awareness Method for 3 year and NEVER been pregnant when I didn't want to be. Before that I used condoms the right way every time DH and had sex. We never got pregnant until we started TTC.

I'm not saying birth control doesn't fail but I just don't think it happens as often as is claimed on here.

I know 3 people right now that are pregnant with "oops" babies. My sister never went back for her BC shot after the first one and didn't use condoms. My best friend claims her birth control didn't work but then told me she only took 2 pills the month she got PG. Another friend just didn't use anything but told her mom that the BC failed.

Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I'd say less than 10% of the time when used correctly

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• when used properly, it's about 1%. on cafe mom it's about 50%! i'v never had it fail. patch, pill, condoms, or iud.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Those MAGIC words..."When used properly" don't mention any kind of "natural BC" because you will be told you were just lucky because it doesn't really work for the average population.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I believe the statistics when it's taken and used properly.

BandME

Answer by BandME at 6:45 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I've never had it fail either. I don't leave anything to chance. I figured out long ago that my life is all about the choices I make.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 6:46 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I consider my oldest baby to be a happy surprise. I was on the pill and we used a condom....I'm just saying (we had gone six months prior without any scare and I always took it with breakfast)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 6:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I doubt birth control fails as often as people claim. As for any natural planning or rhythm methods people use, those are not nearly as reliable as actual birth control so I don't even count those as being BC. But no, I think a huge number of the ones who had BC "fail", weren't really using anything. It's easier to lie and not have to admit you were too immature or lazy to use anything.
    Anonymous

• you can use pills properly but then have it fail due to antibiotics (hello, niece). or just be that small percentage (hello, brother). my family apparently is genetically uberfertile. i swear i've gotten pregnant by thinking about sex too hard. i've had condoms break, my cousin got pregnant on norplant too come to think of it.

sounds like the overall consensus is that really it is in everyone's best interest to make sure they are properly educated on the use of birth control... huh. so why are there so many people running around trying to prevent such education?
    Anonymous

• i got pregnant on yaz birth control and i was taken it every morning on time and now im 13 weeks and 1 day pregnant.
    Anonymous

• I do say my BC "failed" however, it was due to my own error. I got a pelvic infection and had to have my IUD removed last November. My period was all screwy so I started my BC pills in December. I'd had an IUD since my middle DD was born in 04 (minus the time I had to have it removed for surgery and got pregnant before it was put back in, in 07) so I forgot all about the antibiotic/BC counteraction. I got bronchitis in January, and in my haze of being sick, and my doc not reminding me about the counteraction, I took them and just happened to be ovulating. Doesn't help that i'm fertile myrtle either. Got prego. 25 weeks today. So yes, it was MY fault it "failed". But I did explain that to others when we announced the pregnancy...didn't put it off as the BC just didn't work.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2010