do you buy your kids alot for their birthday?

if the party cost $250 for the place $50 for the cake and all the extras goodie bags, food and things do you also buy them a big gift if so how much do you spend

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My DD's 4th b-day was in February and I spent about $1900. She had two parties... I want REALLY overboard and I do every year. I get my tax return 2 weeks before her b-day so its hard not to get her everything she wants...
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 6:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• our two oldest 14 & 13 are to the point where we just give them cash now, we have a family dinner . My 9 year old just had his first bday party this year, the party costed us alot of money so there were no presents from mom and dad and he understood but if he was remotely upset that went away because about 17 kids showed up to his birthday party, he had a blast!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• My kids get a home birthday party. Homemade Cake, simple decorations. Any theme will be homemade and not character driven. (Elmo, Thomas, etc) That stuff is hiked up in price to sell the name and it's not worth it for a few hours hanging on a wall. I won't buy more then one-two gifts. Not only because most birthday parties kids get presents from all the guests, but I don't need my kids believing their entitled to getting a bunch of presents. That and I like my gifts to be special to my children, so they're chosen specifically for them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• We have a rule: You get a party or you get a big ticket item. But I am not paying for a party AND a gift... the party IS the gift. Each sibling will get the other sibling a gift that they choose... this is not included in the party deal.

There is ONE way around this.... IF the child chooses a charity and requests that all party guests bring a donation for that charity (this is big in our area) then they can have a moderate party AND request a big ticket item (not too big).

I want to clarify it isnt that we can not afford more... it is simply we are trying to instill a better value system. We make in the lower mid 6 figures.

Anonymous

• We decided to go for a small family party that will cost almost nothing...and use the money to buy my two kids a trampoline...about 180$ Their birthday is about 2 weeks apart so we usually do their stuff together :)
    Anonymous

• I'm having a hard time figuring out what to get Silver for #3 coming up in August. He has more than I like to clean up already. I'm very anti-goodie bag as a recipient or giver; they are usually filled with cheap ass junk I don't need that was made in China. I think it's insane to spend that much money on a party unless it's for multiple honourees. But you do what you like with your money...
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 7:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• It depends. We don't have elaborate parties, but we will give them something they have been asking for. As they get older, these "wants" become more expensive, so we have to put a limit. We have given plan tickets, computers, musical instruments, money, clothes, and one year half the cost of a new transmission. Older kids want interesting stuff.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• We don't do parties and we also don't spend a lot on gifts.
    My oldest turns 10 next week. I got her a DS game for $20, some charms for like $10 and those silly bandz things for $2. That's about what we spend on average for gifts for each kid. Other then that they usually get to go out to eat (which averages $60 for our family of 6) and a cake (homemade).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• My kids are still little so we only have a small dinner with family then cake. We spent $15 on 2 baby dolls for my 2yr old daughters B'day and $30 for a Buzz Lightyear that my 5 yr old son wanted. He is autistic so doesn't really understand and is happy with anything he gets. We are on a VERY tight budget and just can't afford many things. I would have loved to have a big party with lots of present for each of them, but since my husband has been unemployed we just can't afford it. Luckily they are happy with whatever they get :)
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 12:04 AM on Jun. 22, 2010