At what age should children be allowed to use the stove?

to make simple things such as boil eggs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• My 11 year old can cook. He has loved cooking since he was little. My 13 year old would be allowed to use the stove, but he is not as cautious and doesn't pay as much attention as the 11 year old. Also he has NO interest in cooking, so he's never learned the proper ways to cook things. He once microwaved a wendy's burger in their wrapper (which of course was metallic) and nearly ruined my microwave lol. I would say it depends on the maturity level of the child. I would not say under 9 alone because it's simply too dangerous. My 6 year old likes to help with cooking, but I would never step away from the stove with her there.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I think it depends a lot on maturity and responsibility. My 22 year old showed an interest when he was young and would help me and always showed me that he was careful and resposible. By the time he was 8 he was stirring things with my supervision and by the time he was 10, he was cooking. Now, my 20 year old wasn't allowed near the stove until he was about 14 as he had attention issues and I didn't want the house to burn down. I, myself was using the stove by myself at age 8.
    Anonymous

• When they can handle it and safely reach the stove.
    I started cooking on the stove when I was 9.
    I've shown my older 2 kids (8 1/2 and 10) how to use the stove to make grilled cheese but they just don't pay enough attention to actually do it. So I showed them how to use the Foreman grill. That's a little easier for them. My son (the 8yo) can do more because he's taller then the 10yo.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• My 8 and 9 year old help me all the time. They have been helping for a while, they can stir things, and get things on the stove. I still have to turn on our stove for them, but that's because it doesn't have handles. We are hoping to buy a new stove later this summer. If that's the case they will be able to turn on the stove etc. In addition they also cut veggies, open cans, etc. Of course this is with me in the kitchen as well.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 7:07 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Silver is almost 3 and loves to cook the eggs or grilled cheese with Mommy. I am super paranoid and hover worse than a helicopter though. He likes to feel big and gets proud of himself.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 7:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I just started letting my 14 year old fry an egg. I have a gas stove and it makes me nervous.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 7:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• My 8 y/o does.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• First off - I'm almost 27, I can cook dishes that would put Rachel Ray to shame... Don't ask me to boil an egg... I just can't do it!

As for your question - I don't think it's about age, it's about maturity. When they are mature enough to handle it, they can, it's got nothing to do with age...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• When they are old enough to reach over it properly. My son is 12 and he's been able to make mac-n-cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches, since he was about 10.
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 10:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• My 9yr. old has started learning to cook, but I still supervise him while he is using the stove/oven.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2010