Coworker had an abortion...i'm having a hard time dealing with it

NOT that this is a fun topic, but didn't know where else to put it. :( sorry...

My coworker told everyone a couple months ago that she was pregnant. We all got excited for her, but then she decided to have an abortion. She had it done a little over two weeks ago, and went a couple days ago for her 2 week follow-up. She called me a few hours later to tell me that they told her she was still pregnant and had to do it all again.

i am just heartbroken. She seems so nonchalant about the entire thing. i do realize this may be a defense mechanism for her, but it's disturbing. She talks about it as tho it is nothing.

We work together every night, 5 nights/week, in close proximity. i don't want to be rude to her, but tonight is the first time i will see her since she went back to the clinic, and i'm having trouble dealing with my own feelings about it.

What would you do/say?

inkydorei

Asked by inkydorei at 7:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would go about business as usual. She made a mistake by involving everyone in her decision/life. If you don't agree with her actions, you don't have to be her friend.... she is just a coworker...
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 7:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I would not say anything. Unless she keeps talking about it. Then I would probably tell her how I feel about it.

Answer by louise2 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• makes me want to puke. nothing you can do about her.

I would ignore her 100% unless it was work related and I would ONLY address what was necessary for the job.

Anonymous

• Why not just tell her it makes you very uncomfortable and agree not to ever talk about it again? Lot's of people offend me by talking about their latest operation or occasional irregularity or why they need to take pepto and it makes me sick. Even the commercials make me sick. I don't even use those words... much less discuss them with strangers. People have become so casual they think it's okay to tell you every disgusting detail of their lives and I let them know I don't want to hear about it. They always laugh but I honestly find vulgarity extremely offensive and I find that if you let people know it bothers you they won't share it with you. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• I think that if she dares to bring it up tell her straight up her way of thinking and her actions are just SICK. How can she do that to a innocent child. & why is she telling the whole world her business?
    elliebaby

Answer by elliebaby at 7:33 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Personally I think she's lying for attention and sympathy. Don't give it to her. Who ever heard of them leaving it and having to do it again? These people do this for a living and use ultrasounds to make sure they get it all. I'd feel worry for her that she would even concoct a story like that for attention. That's just sad.
    Anonymous

• I'm sure that should be SORRY not worry!
    Anonymous

• This sounds like a lie. Ask yourself, if she just told you she shit her pants would you really care?
    Anonymous

• From the way she told the story I would say it's all bull and she's just looking for attention. You are not "still pregnant" after an abortion. They have to make sure they cleaned everything out. And I don't believe anyone would tell people they are pregnant if they were going to just abort anyway. Maybe a few close friends but not the whole office.

Anonymous

• Are you upset with people who use birth control methods that are abortifacients like birth control pills?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2010