When did hate and intolerance become family values?

Asked by rkoloms at 8:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• So unlike you to post something like this, what happened?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Well, somethings have always been taught in some families. Like in my family, however, it didn't stick with me..I am trying to change things for my son and so far, so good. He doesn't think like most of my family.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• From the time the world began.
    Anonymous

• They have always been part of family teachings. It just isn't looked at as hate and intolerance. Ask anyone and most will tell you they are very tolerant and non-racist, but then listen to them for a while and they prove themselves wrong. It's just the way they were taught and they don't see anything wrong with it and don't question.
    As I was growing up, I was allowed to talk to black kids at school, but my mom would have had a shit fit if I brought a black person home and she would have probably died if I had married a black person.
    My family hates gay people. Oh, they don't see hate, they say "it's fine if that is what they want, but don't bring it around me". They cut off communication with people once they find out they are gay, they barely talk to people of other races. I choose to do different and raise my kid different. It's just changing things and trying to keep their ways from spoiling my kid's mind.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 8:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• remember archie bunker?
    i don't think every family has hate and intolerance in their home.
    sometimes it may just seem that way :(
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Can you give an example? Sure, families that belong to the KKK probably have hate and intolerance as their family values, but most families are not so extreme. Lots of people have subtle racist attitudes, but hopefully when they recognize them they try to teach their kids the right thing. It will take many generations to do away with the ugliness. My kids have never heard some of the words I grew up hearing.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I would have to say that is something that goes back to umm... Forever!
    People from cultures all through history were teaching their kids not to mix with outsiders or even other "lower" classes... Seems to me it got worse around the time Christianity became popular, but it has always (and will be) an issue for the all of humanity... Because some people will always feel their way of life or their beliefs or their skin color is better than others and feel it necessary to instill those twisted values in to their children.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:43 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• oh...iam reminded me of something!
    i knew a jewish girl that dated a boy whose dad was the local kkk leader! the boy's sister dated an african american boy!
    so even when hate and intolerance are taught, it is not always learned : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Just because we don't embrace certain things doesn't mean we teach hate. I know and love many people that I don't agree with their choices and lifestyle, but I love them.

Anonymous

• hate and intolerances was taught generations ago, but it's still felt and present today. just check-out friends and neighbors.
    watch there reactions to people of other colors. listen to them talk. for example: it's cool to speak with a black person in a casual manner, how the other person would not have that black person for a friend or neighbor. stop the hate and the intolerances. instill better values in our children. we should really be concern about drug dealers and gangsters trying to take our children life or imprison them .
    moxiema

Answer by moxiema at 8:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2010