What should I do first?

I need to lose weight and I need to quit smoking. I have been told that trying to do both at the same time will most likely make me fail at both. And quitting smoking usually makes you gain weight. I just don't know which would be better to do first. Though in all honesty I would rather be thin and still be a smoker but I know they are both bad for me. I have 80 lbs to lose so it will probably take a long time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Health

• Been there, done that! I think the best thing to do is quit smoking first and try to replace the cravings with situps, pushups, jumping jacks or some other quick little exercise. Anyway, the reason I say quit smoking first is because when you want to lose weight, you are going to want to work out and smoking makes it so hard to breathe during exercise. Good luck:)
    Anonymous

• i started swimming when i quit smoking. it was physically hard on my lungs to swim, so i used that as a reminder as to why i was quitting.
    i also ate a ton of altoids the first week.
    don't quit quitting!
    good luck to you!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• My sister was up to 4 packs a day. Her doctor put her on the patch (transitions from high to low in stages). She didn't have a problem and didn't gain weight. She just stayed active and we're old so staying active for us is breathing and walking to the bathroom to pee!

Answer by admckenzie at 9:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2010