• In the Spotlight:

Should I listen to the doctor or get a second opinion?

Well according to the doc I am 10 wks and 3 days pregnant but every time someone see my stomach they think I am further along not too mention that I took a pregnancy test back in the beginning of April two and got two positives but I got my period so i did not think anything of it then for the month of May my period never came so I waited the two week got my positives and made an appt. to see my doc. the doc only went by last af even though i told her that the month before I got my af i tested positive. This pic was taken when I was supposedly 7 wks and 5 days this is my first so I do not know if it is bigger than it should be or if it is the right size. Everyone says it is too big. What do you ladies think?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would go by what the doctor says according to the size he sees. The baby is going to come when it comes. Is it really a big deal if your off a week or two?
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:45 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• If you aren't happy with your doctors answers, I would always say get a second opinion. But if you get the same answer from number 2, maybe it's time to just trust them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:45 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Listen to the doctor now. You'll get another thing (brain dead at the moment, can't remember what it's called, the picture thing) done at around 20 weeks or so usually. Some doctors do it more often. When we had our 20week thing done, the due date got changed from early march to mid february and she came on the second due date.
    And you can always plan on going in to labor early and have the bag and everything ready.
    I'd take a doctor's opinion over other people any day.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 8:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• My first son had several different due dates. My period said March of 08, my doctor said mid April of 08. He was born in March. It never really mattered who was right. He came when he was ready, and yours will too.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 8:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Well depsite your positive result in april the ultrasound would generally tell the doctor about how far you are. If he is still saying that you are however far along or your due date is whatever then trust the doctor. also if you do miss your period by a couple days and then get it, according to my doctor, then the person usually was pregnant and just passed it before it became a fetus.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Usually, early ultrasounds are pretty accurate with the fetal age. I'd go by what the doctor is saying. And you do get another ultrasound..at around 20 weeks like pp said.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• OP- Thank you ladies so much I appreciate all the helpful answers.
    Anonymous

• see the thing next to your baby? It's a yolk sac, and is typical before the amniotic sac forms around your baby. The amniotic sac typically forms around 9 weeks and between 10-11 weeks the yolk sac disappears.

Beyond that, I'm sure they took measurements as well. These are all pretty crucial in determining the age of your fetus. The doctors are trained for this, they know what they are looking for. So yes I'd say your doctor is accurate.

That doesn't mean you weren't pregnant before, you most likely either misread your pregnancy tests, or miscarried without being aware of it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• http://www.babycenter.com/100_fetal-development_5214615.bc
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Before i believe its 14 weeks, all embryos grow at the same rate. Therefore the early ultrasounds are pretty accurate. They were dead on with me. I knew what day i got pregnant. The ultrasound calculated the same day :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 9:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2010