Why isn't teaching hate and intolerance considered a form of child abuse?

Do you think abuse to teach hate?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do.. but freedom of speech kinda trumps it...
    If no one is being physically harmed or harassed, then there is not much anyone is going to do about it.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 8:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Isn't that relative, what may be considered hate to one person is not hate to another. Who are you to say what goes on in someone else's family.

Anonymous

• Because it's not illegal to think these things, it's just illegal to act on most of them.
    Just because no one else likes it doesn't mean that it is considered abuse to teach and think things that most think are bad.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 8:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• No. It is freedom of speech, opinion, and expression. Hating and intolerance are not against the law, but acting out those opinions in a violent manner are.
    Anonymous

• Brainwashing IS a form of child abuse, and considered as such. If parents are basically brainwashing their child to hate and be intolerable against another group of people and to act out in horrific manners toward a certain group of people then it is child abuse.
    Anonymous

• I agree and understand that freedom of speech is huge! I'm a huge supporter for freedom of speech. But when your speech is harmful it can be illegal... Slander, Harassment, Verbal Abuse... All illegal... Shouldn't teaching your impressionable children to hate be illegal under these same principals?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Actually in NJ it is. A while ago 3 kids were taken from their parents because they were Neo-Nazis. The little boys name was Adolf Hitler and the 2 little girls had white supremcises names. I don't know what became of it but I know it was all over the news and I think it was on here.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 9:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I think it is but it's hard to make laws regarding this because it's very subjective.   Where do you draw the line. What you consider hate and intolerance might be a lot different then another person.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Absolutely!

Answer by rkoloms at 9:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Because one person's hate is another person's common sense. Look at the people in politics who call anyone who disagrees with Obama a racist. Should everyone they call a racist be charged with abuse because they voted for someone else?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2010