My 6 year old does not listen. He drives me crazy! I tell him to do something and I have to tell him again and again and then SCREAM at him to get him to do something.

I love my boys however at times the 6 year old is less than enjoyable at times. I want him to stop doing something the 1st time I tell him or do something he is told to do the 1st time. I have tried time out, I have tried taking things away, I have even tried spanking him. None of that works. I have tried giving him lots of praise when he does do somthing the 1st time and that doesn't work either. Is it just his personality to be defiant? He is a sweet little boy and is very loveable he just DOES NOT LISTEN

CLewis1226

Asked by CLewis1226 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Go to his eye level and firmly say it once. If no response, then you need an immediate consequence. And if you feel like you are going to yell, turn away from the situation, take a deep breath, and whisper instead.
    You can have him tested for ODD.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• If you are having to tell him over and over again, then he is getting too many chances. My children know that if they don't obey the first time, then there will be consequences. You must be extremely consistent with this. If they get away with a small defiance, then they will try with other things as well.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 9:25 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Good luck with that - mine's the same way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My 6 year old is like this and it is her personality. She has ODD (oppositional defiant disorder). She does this because she can and doesn't care if there are consequences. She is seeing therapists and psychiatrists so hopefully there will be an end in site. In the meantime we are still very consistent.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 4:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2010