Do you have a friend that seems to always complain about everything and they are broke as a joke but they never ever do anything to make it better?!?!?!?

She is my best friend, I've know her for about 20 years now. They are always behind on rent and bills. She's always calling crying to me about how they can't pay this or that but then in the next breath, she tells me they took the kids to a water park at $10 per adult and $7 per kid...they have 6 kids! How can you not pay your bills or have the gas money for the dh to get to work on a daily basis but you can do some kind of activity that costs money every weekend? It wouldn't bother me so much if she didn't act like she just expects a handout all the time. I've stopped feeling sorry for her and giving them stuff.They never have toilet paper, dish soap,laundry soap,shampoo,nothing.She doesnt even have socks or a bra because she says they can't afford it. But they will all be laying around the house,playing the Wii, hiding from the landlord not doing a damn thing to make money.I love her dearly, but how do I get thru to someone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• I added a shortcut to your Q, 'cause I have a friend EXACTLY like that - and i want help too :-)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 9:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• You don't. You say I love you but I will not give you money or hand outs. That is it. If you want to be her friend be her friend but don't give her anything. That is ALL you can do!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 9:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• sounds like she's got you just where she wants you and everyone else for that matter. tell them to work for what they want and that you're broke or at least don't have the money to help them. don't buy them stuff bc they expect it. those kids wont go without if their parents have to choose between a waterpark or toilet paper. sounds like it's time to get a better friend.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Thats the thing...she IS a good friend. She is a great person, she was just raised a lot differently than me I guess. And the things that are important to me must not be as important to her..but at the same time I'm thinking..why are you calling crying about stuff if not having anything doesnt bother you? They get foodstamps for help which I think is great, they really need it. But on the first day thier card is uploaded, her husband will make a midlnight run to the nearest convience store and stock up on $60 worth of junk food and they sit up all night playing the Wii and eat all that. Two weeks into the month, they have no foodstamps left or food and she calls complaining, she doesnt know what to do...then she'll ask me if I want to join them for a cookout at the beach. WHAT?! Does that make any kind of sence? If I say yes, she'll expect me to bring all the food! Of course! Cuz they have no money! UGH! Its irritating.
    Anonymous

• i know people like that, i made the mistake of pointing out if they arent happy about it then change and i got major back lash...so i just ignore those people and cut them from my life. you cant fix ignorance
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 9:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• yep! She's called my sister in law! LOL
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 10:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Yup but it's their life so there isn't much you can do. They know what they are doing and are ok with it so just accept it but don't enable her, don't give her money.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• oh yes the ex friends of mine that introduced me to my now husband....that womans husband made plenty of money and she would just blow it on shopping sprees then the phone would ring and she would tell the kids to not answer it because it was the bank calling about their car payment or they would complain about the house going into foreclosure then seeking asst. from the county to save the house....they have huge new years parties with expensive food and they go to water parks and whatever. they both smoke a pack a day and he drinks an 18 pack a day..never any money for the bills!! it gets old to listen too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jun. 22, 2010