Anyone out there?!?!?

Ok so I have read over and over on here about how so many of you dissagree with feeding a baby soilds untill a certian age. I fed both my kids cereal at 3 months or so, and they did just fine. I was fed cereal at 1 month and also have no issues. Is there anyone out there who DOES agree or has started soilds before 6 months?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would say that the major cause of obesity in this country is that we have become a fast food nation. I seriously doubt that starting a baby on cereal at 4 months vs. 6 months is going to be a major concern for obesity. However, if this same child's main vegetable of choice is french fries- then there lies the problem.

I started each of my kids at 4 months. My oldest is 14 and she is doing just fine. None of them are overweight or unhealthy. I doubt this has to do with the cereal that they ate as a baby- but more of the fact that I teach them about nutrition right off the bat, and I am a stickler for nutritious meals and I don't keep garbage food in the house. We eat wholesome foods that the Good Lord has provided for us and avoid stuff with artificial chemicals and preservatives. We eat organically when we can. I make my own mostly organic baby food.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 10:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I started cereal mixed with carrots around 4 months with my daughter. I was on baby food and other solid food long before 6 months and regular milk long before 1 year. We're both fine.
    It's just a guideline not a hard rule.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• my kids are in high school and for the life of me I can not remember when I started them on cereal. And I will bet you $100 that most of the moms I socialize with can not remember. But you know what...... they are ALL FINE AND HEALTHY.

Im sure that some fed earlier than others but do you really think that matters>?

Lets teach them morals, ethics, kindness, self reliance.  If you have to fuss over something can you make it something that effects the rest of us???  When your kid ate cereal doesn't matter a hoo haa...but when you screw up raising them THAT does effect us all!

Not bashing you OP.... just kind of putting it out there that this debate is just silly.... so I guess in a way Im agreeing with you.

Anonymous

• I don't agree with anything that has been proven to cause allergies, obesity, constipation and some rather serious health issues... Just because one person does it and their kids are okay doesn't mean it's okay... Kids live through arson fires, abuse, rape, car accidents... And a whole list of other horrid things, it doesn't mean those things are okay either...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Are you kids grown? How do you know they are alright? I fed my son at 4 months. So far he is ok, but, he also has IBS and other digestive issues, so does my dad. Could that be a family thing or the fact they were fed way early? Who knows, I will wait for the next child just to be on the safe side. This is why most don't agree with starting so early. Same way we now don't give babies cow milk or do many of the other things our ancestors did that we find out later is bad. Like mercury thermometers, lead-based paint, car seats..etc. Doctors are now starting to recommend waiting until later. You will get a lot that tell you to wait and some that will say "Hey, I gave mine a shit ton of food at a week old to sleep all night. I also fed it in the bottle. My kid is just fine." Ok, well, my grandma wasn't fed formula...she was "ok", she had health issues. I wouldn't feed a newborn cows milk, would you? Same difference.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• my son was three months when i started cereal and carrots, then bananas. he's three and has never been overweight. the doctor told me to feed him the solids first then end with a bottle and he didn't eat as much formula which has a lot of fat in it. as long as he was on the chart he was fine. he's now an intelligent, socialable, and healthy boy.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• We are referring to issues as adults, not toddlers. Maybe this rise in obesity in America stems from this early feeding.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• i fed my kids all cereal and they are non over weight healthy adults!! do what you feel is right
    Anonymous

• Just follow the doctors instructions, and you will be fine. This is what I did.

Answer by older at 9:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Why take the risk?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2010