My two year old suddenly doesn't want to walk anymore! And my arms are tired!

I guess she's going thru another phase! Before, she always wanted to walk-she never wanted to be in her stroller and didn't want me to hold her. Now, when we go for an outing, she doesn't want to walk at all! I wind up carrying her! At 25 pounds, she isn't light! I don't mind holding her sometimes, but other times I just want my arms free.

How do I address this? I don't want her to feel like I'm rejecting her. She's my baby, and I love her so much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• on a personal note... (mine are 3 & 5) but as much as I remember needing to stop lugging them around for 1 second ...I miss it sooooo much! They grow up too fast! So while your arm is throbbing just think of how wonderful they feel in your arms cause too soon they will be dashing off to their friend. Have fun hunny.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 10:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• it's not rejection, it's parenting. sometimes they aren't happy but you're teaching them how to survive at a very young age.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Just tell her you worked hard teaching her to walk and it wasn't all for nothing. Say it with a smile then start a whole different conversation to distract her.
    I still deal with that and my girl is 5 and still asks to be packed sometimes when she's tire. I just tell her "Why did you learn to walk if you want to be packed?"
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I use to keep an umbrella stroller handy at times like that for mine when they did that. Especially if we were at the mall, I know my son would seem nervous when he was walking with me. I think he was afraid he's get stepped on.
    ColleenW62

Answer by ColleenW62 at 9:45 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Are you planning on carrying her even still once she is 10 years old?? Seriously.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 10:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

GROW UP.
    Anonymous

• I don't need to grow up. It was a legit question. The kid is 2, old enough to walk on her own there is no reason for her to be "rejected" she has 2 perfectly healthy legs for a reason. If the parent is so concerned about her feeling rejected because she won't carry her then who is to say she won't feel rejected even once she is older because mommy always carries her because she feels guilt of "rejecting". She doesn't want to walk because you give in as soon as she wants to be carried. That is YOUR fault, no-one else's.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 10:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Not sure what to say on this one. My parents both said they had to carry me until I was almost 6! I was fine at home but out in public I was terrified of strangers so I wanted the security of one of my parents carrying me. Just be patient. She may just want to feel close and safe up close to mom. I'm sure she will stop long before I did!

Answer by admckenzie at 11:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• "The kid is 2, old enough to walk on her own there is no reason for her to be "rejected" she has 2 perfectly healthy legs for a reason. If the parent is so concerned about her feeling rejected because she won't carry her then who is to say she won't feel rejected even once she is older because mommy always carries her because she feels guilt of "rejecting". She doesn't want to walk because you give in as soon as she wants to be carried. That is YOUR fault, no-one else's. "

********************

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it doesn't sound like the OP is saying holding her daughter is a problem-she's saying holding her daughter ALL THE TIME is the problem. I still hold my 24 month old sometimes. I'm enjoying it. There will come a day when she doesn't want to be held anymore.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:56 PM on Jun. 21, 2010