My baby sleeps better on stomach

Good Day to all, I need some help. My 6 week baby likes to sleep on stomach rather than on his back, Im constanly cheking on him cause i dont want him to suffocate. Please i need some advice in what i should do. thanks

BurgFam

Asked by BurgFam at 9:25 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Leave him on his stomach, but, use a fan in the room. Unless you are too paranoid, then put him on his back and deal until he sleeps better.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• My daughter did this around 3-4 months. Nothing we did could stop her, we'd flip her to her back and 10 minutes later she'd be back on her belly. She kept her head turned though and we didn't have blankets or pillows in bed with her so she wouldn't smother on them.
    We tried some kind of stuffed thing that you lay the baby in to prevent it from rolling. It worked for the people who recommended it to us, but our girl screamed and didn't sleep in it. You could try that.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I would think, as long as there is nothing in the crib that he can "sink into" (pillow, cover, etc.), you know: if the bed is made so you can bounce a quarter on it, you should be fine....but just in case, maybe you could turn him over when he's asleep...???
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 9:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• use a fan int he rooom to move the air, and also try to get her to take a pacifier. the risk of sids is cut 76% if kids use a paci because the sucking keeps the breathing regulated. My first son refused to sleep on his back too....
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Our son is like that too. We always lay him on his back, from day one to now, and he started rolling over in his sleep at about a week old. We still put him on his back but he rolls over. We cant really stop him. We tried a positioner and he HATED it and wouldnt sleep at all with it.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Agreed, just make sure there is nothing in the crib and he isn't near the bumpers.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:44 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• my son started sleeping on his tummy at 6 weeks too. i worried but calmed down with time. as long as the sheet is tight fitting and he has nothing to impair his breathing he should be fine. one of the perks is that my son learned to develop his neck/back muscles faster because he wanted to look at his bumper/sheet when he woke up. now at 3 months, he's pretty sturdy :) good luck, it'll be ok i promise!
    mommypeezee

Answer by mommypeezee at 2:07 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• There should be no bumpers on the bed. Go to some of the SIDS awareness sites and read ALL of the risk reduction info. People shouldn't promise you it will be okay just to make you feel better. When babies die from SIDS they don't suffocate. The fan advice is good. Breastfeeding is good and if you are breastfeeding you shouldn't give pacifiers. If you aren't breastfeeding then pacifiers are a good idea and it would be good to figure out a way to get your baby on it's back. Formula babies are at much greater risk in the early months.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:18 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My daughter was that way from day one. I tried to just swaddle her to make her feel safe and tight but it only worked for an hour or two. I had to do what worked for us and that was to let her sleep on her tummy with a fan on slightly slanted. She is now 15 months and still sleeps the same way. My Dr. would probably kill me but she wasn't the one with the screaming baby girl all night long...

Good luck, with being a parent you have to do what works for you, not always "what's right".

~Daydreamer77
    Daydreamer77

Answer by Daydreamer77 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I tried everything with my little girl. Swaddling = screaming. putting her in her carseat = more screaming. laying her on her tummy = silence! She is fine and I had no problems with it. All the moms I know (including me and my mother and her sisters) were placed on their tummys when they were babies... Why is it any different now?

Just make sure you check on them often if it scares you.
    S_morgan09

Answer by S_morgan09 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2010