SAHM or go back to work?

We're pregnant with our 2nd child and I've been really debating on if I want to stay home with my children or if I want to return back to work after baby is born. I've never not had a job and I can't imagine not having a job. I feel like it would be better for my family if I did stay home with my children, but then finances come into play and I just wonder if we can truly afford for me to stay home.................. has anyone else had to make this decision???? and what did you decide to do? and was it worth it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I've had t make that decision when we had our second. We decided to tough it out, give it a year and see how it goes. After the baby turned 7 weeks old, I started babysitting a couple kids for money. It really supplemented our income. This was almost two years ago. Sure weve had to cut back on a lot, but I wouldnt change it for the world. I LOVE watching my children grow and learn everyday. Its the best experience I've ever had in my life.
    Anonymous

• this is just my opinion take it or leave it. But I would atleast wait til your second is a year old before you go back to work. Because I think the first year of the baby's life is important for them to be with their mom or dad. That's just what I think though.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 9:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Well, if you need money then you HAVE to work. That's life. I don't know why people keep having kids and then wonder why they can't stay home with them. If you can't afford them, don't have them. Staying home is not a right...
    Anonymous

• Now is the time to establish your career, and get a great jump on college and retirement savings. Your kids will need you more at home between the ages of 12 and 18, than they do now.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Hello There,

I was always one of those that had to be working, I would work 3 jobs at once if I could but when my son came along that all changed. I couldn't stand being away from him, every time I would go to work I wouldn't be able to focus because I was constantly wishing I was home with him. I worked for the first year and a half of his life and I couldn't take any more, I told my husband I couldn't do it anymore and he said fine we will see what we can do, so I quit my job and haven't gone back and wouldn't be able to. I added up the money I was making and the money I was spending traveling to work and paying someone to watch my child and it wasn't worth it. Good Luck I hope you find the right answer soon!

Zara Nichols
    Helping Moms Work From Home
    www.4AHappyLife.com
    ZaraN

Answer by ZaraN at 9:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Wow.

OP- I love staying at home with my son. It's great to be able to watch him learn new things every day, and it totally makes up for the sacrifices we've had to make financially. I'm assuming that you already know (without having to be told by a mean-spirited person) that if you can't afford to stay home, you'd go back to work. So really all you need to do is talk to your hubby and decide between the two of you what's right for your family. Be prepared, if you do decide to stay home, to make a lot of financial sacrifice. If you're fine with that, don't let anyone make you regret your decision, and have fun with your baby! =)
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 9:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• It is definitely worth it. I wouldn't trade the time I get to spend with my children for anything.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 10:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Being a SAHM and housewife is a job, you just don't get paid for it. I work harder and work longer hours now than I ever worked when I had a so-called real job. Clearly you know your kids need you at home, you just have to figure out the finances. The first thing to do it figure out how much it will cost you to work. Add up daycare, work clothes, gas money, and all the little expenses like lunch out, picking up easy food because you don't have time to cook, and higher car insurance due to higher mileage. I figured out it would cost me over $50K a year to work, there's no way I could find a job that would allow me to work around a daycare schedule and make enough to justify missing out on my son's childhood.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:07 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• You need to figure out what works for you and your family. There is no perfect way to do this. Kids thrive in homes where they are loved whether they are at home with mom or in daycare a portion of the day. Good luck to you.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 1:00 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I think we all pretty much struggle with this decision. Do what is best for your family. Your kids won't die if you have to work. What good is a stay at home mommy if they have no food or roof over their head? If you can afford to stay home, kuddo's! If not, do what ya gotta do momma!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:57 AM on Jun. 22, 2010