Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who should I ask for help?

My neighbor downstairs has called the police on me twice,due to the fact that my kids ages 3 and 6 are "too loud" and do not let her sleep 2pm.
They told her to stop since the only noise is our walking and their occasional running...they're kids!
We have met with the management office manager,(of my apt complex),but the neighbor basically told me to take my kids outside from 2 pm to about 5...ummm crazy?
She also told me to spank them hard,I WILL NOT!I simply walked out and told her we'd go to court if needed.
Who can i contact for help?Social services??

Answer Question

Asked by musicalladybug at 9:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Health

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • What did the management say? I know when Iived in a complex, we had times listed in our lease of when you should be respectful of others and limit your noise. That time was between 11pm and 7 am. To me 2 pm is fair game. I'd let her keep calling the police. You are not breaking any rules or laws.

    Answer by layh41407 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • I'm at a loss! After such a ridiculous response from apt manager, I wouldnt know who to go to next.... thats CRAZY!


    Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 9:35 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • what did the management have to say? I would say the police will handle her if she keeps it up because she is basically making false allegations and that makes them mad.You can actually call the police or speak to someone there about harassment laws to protect yourself.

    Answer by Bearsjen at 9:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • btw, thats insane. good luck.

    Answer by Bearsjen at 9:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • So she wants to you spank your children (which will make them cry) so she can sleep? That makes no sense. Not only is the spanking a child for walking or running/playing in their own home ludicrous but how could she sleep through the crying? So she takes a three hour nap every day? Maybe she should move. I don't think there is anyone you can call. The police might file charges against her if she doesn't stop. Then she'll be in jail and I bet she doesn't tell the inmates to stop walking in the cell block!

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • You have all helped so much!!I have literally cried so much over this!My son loves his school and so for now we really do not want to move.The office really cannot help...all they did was facilitate a meeting to which she was a half hour late!!
    Honestly,2pm to me is active time and my children occasionally may run from their room to the living room,we have very thin walls and floors but that's not my fault;)
    I thought she was unfair mean and she looked "dazed" or sedated...hmm,will keep you all updated!

    Answer by musicalladybug at 10:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

  • She sounds like a whackjob. Any chance of her getting a top floor apartment (which is what she should have got to begin with if she needs to sleep during the day)? I'm a cop who work shifts and I live in a co-op complex filled with families with little ones and old people. I would NEVER expect anyone to alter their lives because I need to sleep all day when I'm on nights.

    My advice would be to do your best to keep the kids occupied with quieter stuff but there's no way she can expect that to be every single day. Kids should be allowed to be kids.Tell her to buy earplugs or invest in a white noise machine or fan to have on while she sleeps. I wonder if there is any temporary way to soundproof her ceiling....


    Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:25 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

  • As for the spanking bit....that kinda freaks me out. She sounds unbalanced to begin with and people like that are unpredictable. Just be wary of her around your children and never let them be outside without an adult to make sure she doesn't get near them. I know I sound paranoid but I would hate for her to lose her marbles and hurt one of them. Neighbour disputes are so messy and can get volatile if not resolved in some way. I hope you can find something to help you out. Life is too short to be stressed out over idiots like her.

    Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:27 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

  • If she kept it up, I'd call the police on her for harassment. She is harassing you, and telling you to basically beat your children...she's overstepping her boundaries and you shouldn't have to put up with it. The police will not do anything to you for the noise your kids make. It's the same way with how the police won't do anything for noise control over a crying baby.

    Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:49 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

  • I would tell that bitch to buy some damn ear plugs.

    Answer by GinNTonic at 1:49 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.