Wedding consultant business

Does anyone know how I could start this or go about finding people to work with? I don't want it to be a large scale operation or anything, mostly just helping people out who can't afford an expensive consultant. I've had very good ideas in the past, and I planned my own wedding (which was outdoor and gorgeous) for under $5000. I want to help people do the same. I noticed that someone on another post was a consultant, and I realized that maybe some people here can give me pointers! If you have any resources, that would be great too!

MamaRae85

Asked by MamaRae85 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 10:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Below is a link to a checklist for starting a home-based business. Even if you just put an ad in Craig's list, you'll have to think about some of these things.
    http://smallbusiness.dnb.com/specialty-businesses/home-based-business/3318-1.html

Sometimes when people try to start a consulting business, they offer to do it for free for a few people to get client recommendations and experience. If these people like your work, they'll help spread the word and will serve as references for any future people considering your services.

Good luck.
    Amigram

Answer by Amigram at 10:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Bizymoms.com

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 1:13 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Here is some great information. I can tell you that it can be a little hard to get off the ground with this type of business. I know, I am in it, and still getting started! I would also suggest you take at least some classes, the main reason is because there are so many different customs and whatnot that it can be a bit hard to keep track of if they aren't really your experience. I went to the Ashworth from home - it only cost me like $700... But I'm currently fighting with them to get all my paperwork - so I don't recommend them. I am also starting a second course, mostly for the name, which is awesome... If you want any tips or whatnot, message me.

Here's a good How Too article on getting started!

http://www.topweddingsites.com/become-a-wedding-planner.html

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Thanks, Sabrina! Looking at the site right now! I'll keep you in mind if I have any pointers. I appreciate the help, all!
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2010