Advice on getting my toddler to ditch the bottle and drink milk out of a sippy cup.

Kaitlyn is 16 months and will only take milk from a bottle (at nap time and bed time). Even her milk intake at these times are decreasing. I have tried to give her milk from a sippy cup with meals, but she will have nothing to do with it.

KaitlynsMom695

Asked by KaitlynsMom695 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried the sippy cups with the soft spout? They would be a good transition cup.

JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 11:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• She does really well with her sippy cups when they are filled with water and juice.
    KaitlynsMom695

Answer by KaitlynsMom695 at 11:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• If it's just when she is going to sleep, the bottle may be more soothing, so the soft spout may still help.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 11:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Throw the bottles away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• when my son was nine months I threw out all the bottles... so with no other choice he figure out how to use them real fast ... soft spouts may work but you wont be making that much of a change
    BestmamaIcanb

Answer by BestmamaIcanb at 12:21 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I agree with Bestmama...
    The last time I made formula was the last time my dd got a bottle. I remember my childcare provider was flipping out and saying I was out of my mind but dd didn't skip a beat.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:25 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Children over 12 mo don't need to drink milk and should only be drinking water. They shouldn't be drinking anything to fall asleep.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:41 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Start watering the milk down at nap and bed times. Milk at bedtime is BAD. Eventually she will sleep with only water. As for ditching the bottle during the day, I am no help. I let my kids have their bottles until they were ready to toss them. My oldest kept his until he was 2.5 years old and my youngest just recently got rid of his and he is 17 months old.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• She doesn't need the milk. Tell her that milk is for babies, and big kids drink water. Throw away the bottles and give her water.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2010