Stingy Husband

I just told my husband that I would like to get some things for the baby just incase, before the baby shower. It's on July 10th. I want some sheets for the crib, and some basic stuff, like diapers. Instead of agreeing with me, he asked me, what's wrong with Kenzie's crib sheets? (I have a two year old with crib sized sheets that are all pink) He does not see the point in buying anything before the shower, and I feel like I really need to get some things for him, because WE HAVE NOT YET! Only other people have, and I'm the mommy!!!! I'm so frusterated with him right now! It';s not like i want to go buy the store, i just want to do some shopping for my son. What should I say to him? Should I just go do it while he is at work?

Amber211

Asked by Amber211 at 10:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• If you want them then go buy them!
    Anonymous

• Buying baby things is alot of fun and I can see why you would want to go and get some nice things, but at the same time I understand why your DH wants to wait for the shower. I personally would wait for the shower and see what you get so that you can add to it, instead of just have extra stuff.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• He wants his son to use pink sheets? Maybe you should just see what you get at the shower so that way you're not buying doubles. After the shower, you can build a case for why you need the things you need.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Is money tight? My husband didn't even want me to get a carseat for this baby until after they're born because money is such an issue for us right now. We aren't having a baby shower either, and he still got peeved when I bought clothes (we knew the gender with my daughter and aren't finding out this time, so we needed some gender neutral stuff). I only bought enough for a few days until we could get boy clothes if we have a boy (we already have girl clothes from my daughter), AND I bought them second hand.

Anyway, the point is that if money is tight, that would explain why he is being weird about getting ready for the baby.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I agree with momaRoberts
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• I agree - if money is an issue I can see his point. But at the same time, I definitely see your's. Knowing he's a boy and a new baby - it is so fun to want to buy new things. Could you find some 2nd hand? A local consignment shop or yard sale? And how could he be opposed to buying diapers? Those are things you will need no matter what!! It'll be easier to buy them now than after the new baby gets here!! I had STACKS of diapers before my lil ones were born :)
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Go to thrift stores and buy the things you want. That way you get to spend his money on what you want and it will be so cheap he can't complain. Or trade the pink sheets with someone who has blue ones and needs pink ones. Try www.freecyle.org to see if someone is giving away boy sheets. Remember it's not like a newborn cares about his sheets as long as they are clean.
    Anonymous

• It makes sense to wait until after the shower and of course your excited and don't want to wait another 3 weeks. Why not just visit some garage sales and thrift stores, don't even mention it, just wash everything and set it aside if he is like most men he won't even notice. If you don't want to keep him in the dark then tell him you would at least like to visit some garage sales together and he can decide what to buy if you go..he will feel better about the thrifty part and he still gets to have control.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Well if you don't work and hubby won't give you any money, then sell some of your stuff so you can go and get what you would like for your baby. I agree that hubby has a reason for wanting to wait, but he also don't understand that Mom's need to buy things for the baby to. It's part of the whole nesting thing.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 12:11 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• explain to him what it feels like to be a mom and preg and want something new that YOU got for your baby. maybe compare it to something he likes to buy for himself that he wouldnt like being told to wait for, or to use someone elses....men dont get it. if it doesnt work, and money isnt an issue, go buy your son some stuff hon. :)keep the tags and such so you can return it after the shower if needed.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:17 AM on Jun. 22, 2010