8 month old head twitching/dropping....anyone familiar with this?

He does this mostly when he is holding himself up (on a toy, the couch, coffee table) He will drop his head to the left repetitivly for a few seconds. He does not seemed bothered by it, he will be looking at me smiling while its happening. It does happen multiple times a day. I have seen video of infantile spasms where their arms extend and the babies become agitated. What my son is doing does not look like that. I am set to see the pediatric neuologist but they won't see me for a month! Can anyone tell me if they know what this might be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i know that it is difficult when you want answers and you want them asap. But actually a wait of 1 month would be good in my area, our wait is 3 months.

Have you spoken with your pediatrician? If not, try to video what he is doing and then go to the peds office. If s/he thinks it is something meriting testing, they will be done before your neuro appt. Otherwise there will likely be more waiting if the neuro orders tests.

There are different types of seizures out there as well as many types of epilepsy. Not all of them are twitching, jerking and dramatic like on tv. My ds has a type of grand mal seizure where his body just shuts down and he falls. Other kids have seizures where they stare out into space for a few minutes.

Good luck, I hope it is just a baby quirk that he has.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:36 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• hmmm..I don't know maybe something maybe nothing. I'm certainly not qualified to answer this. Has he had any seizure activity?
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• no....i mean not that I know of. I saw videos of infants having seizure's on "you tube" and it doesn't look like any of the video's I have seen. I know "you tube" is not where I should be getting my resourses from, but what else can I do when they tell me there is no way the neurologist can see me before a month. (and the other neurologists in my area can't see me any sooner)
    Anonymous

• I don't have an answer for you but just wanted to let you know my family will say a prayer for your baby tonight! GL hun!
    Anonymous

• maybe turrets
    turrets doesnt always mean involuntary speech, sometimes, in milder forms, it can just mean involuntary movements which are called TICKS
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:45 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Its spelled Tourettes....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jun. 22, 2010