Do you ever feel tired of having an around the clock "supervisor"?

I'm talking about my 5 and 2 year-old. Everywhere I go and everything I do apparantly needs supervision with absolutely no personal space. Especially when it's a meal time. They just must oversee production and make sure I'm doing what I need to be doing to move things along. I keep telling them I don't need a supervisor, but they think otherwise. What can I do? teehee :)

lowencope

Asked by lowencope at 11:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I know what you mean! I have a 4yr old and a 2 yr old, and they will each get a step stool and stand at each of my elbows. They say "Mommy,is it ready yet? I'm hungry. Can I watch? Can I help?..." etc. I totally get where you're coming from! And the bathroom... I have to LOCK the door! LOL
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 11:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Make them help! And relish every moment of them being there to "supervise", because all too soon they won't want to help or be with you.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Duct tape, maybe?
    My kids drive me nuts when they pull that stuff. They are banned from the kitchen when I'm cooking because they drive me insane, are always in the way and I end up messing up the recipe because they interrupt. When it's time to cook the TV goes on and if they keep bugging me they are sent to their room.
    My middle daughter was always the worst with this. From the time she could crawl she followed me everywhere and would sit outside the bathroom banging on the door until I cam out. She's 7 now and has finally started to leave me alone. But now my 4yo follows me because her older siblings won't play with her or are not home and she's bored. Sometimes I tell her to go find something to do because she's driving me nuts.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Only when I'm trying to go to the bathroom...that gets a little weird LOL!
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Cherish the moments! They will only be little once then these times will be a memory! Hugs to you  though! I know it can be frustrating :)

Anonymous

• Make them help!

This. It's had 2 side effect - kid loves to cook (he's 7) and he actually helps out around the house (or once in a while he makes a mad dash for his room, but either way, problem solved)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• hahaha. Well my 5 year old has gotten pretty good at baking cakes!
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• THEY ARE YOUR CHILDREN!!!! YOU ARE SO PATHETIC FOR REFERRING THEM AS YOUR "SUPERVISOR" I REALLY HATE WHEN PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT THEIR KIDS WANTING LOVE AND ATTENTION. WHY DID YOU HAVE KIDS IF YOU DONT WANT THEM NEAR YOU?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• THEY ARE YOUR CHILDREN!!!! YOU ARE SO PATHETIC FOR REFERRING THEM AS YOUR "SUPERVISOR" I REALLY HATE WHEN PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT THEIR KIDS WANTING LOVE AND ATTENTION. WHY DID YOU HAVE KIDS IF YOU DONT WANT THEM NEAR YOU?"

Posters like you make me glad that new rules about posting anon will soon be put in place. Heaven forbid anyone take anything lightly on here. She never once said or implied that she didn't want love and attention from her kids. Then again, you must be perfect, so anything anyone says that makes them not appear perfect 100% of the time must seem very wrong to you.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:44 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Make them help or ban them from the kitchen. My 2 year old "helps" (LOL) with lunch, like putting the plates & napkins on the table. BUT, she is not allowed in the kitchen while I'm cooking dinner, because that's when I usually have the stove on. She goes in the playroom (gated), or in the living room with her sister (15), DH, or my dad.

Anon :54, I'm glad you are so perfect that you never get annoyed with your children. All of us "stupid & selfish moms" tend to forget that when you have children, you give up any personal space or reasonable expectations of having room to breathe for 2 minutes while we make a sandwich. Thank you SO much for being such a good role model for us all!
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 2:55 AM on Jun. 22, 2010