How do I get rid of head lice?

My daughter's friend spent the night a few times. After almost a month of weekend sleepovers, my daughter was sent home with head lice. Then my son was sent home with head lice. The only way they got it was from her friend. I have treated everyone over and over and cleaned and cleaned. Today, I noticed the girls were scratching their heads. (I also have a toddler) I checked their heads and sure enough, the lice are back! This is so frustrating! Can anyone help? Have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Health

• WORK....you have to really bust your butt for two weeks straight starting from the day at which you discover a new louse.
    Saturate the kids head, every strand of hair, in CETAPHIL. Blow it dry. The lice cannot cling to the coated hair, old lice are suffocated and eggs cannot live through the hair drying. Leave it on for at least 8 hours. Do this daily for two weeks. Hair is a lot longer to dry with the Cetaphil. Nit pick every day. Put any eggs in a plastic baggie. rinse the metal comb in alcohol. Move all stuffed animals for two weeks in bags. Put all backpacks, coats, towels, bathrobes, blankets, sheets and PILLOWs into the dryer for 25 minutes every day. Vacuum every day, including furniture. I promise, if you do this, the lice will vanish but you have to do all of it for two weeks (14 days life cycle of a louse) from the day you find the next live lice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I have heard more then once that mouth wash works great, get there hair and weat with mouthwash really good then put a plastic bag over the hair wait like 20 minutes and that kills them.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• This is what we did, and it worked! Saturate the hair in vinegar, then coat the hair with mayonnaise, but don't rinse the vinegar out before applying the mayo. Cover the hair with saran wrap for 30 minutes, then wash it out. Shampoo and condition as normal. Good luck! Lice is a pain in the butt!
    mom2twingirl797

Answer by mom2twingirl797 at 2:11 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Clean, clean, wash, wash, and wash... Good luck! My dd had it and we got it twice so I called the docs office for some better stuff then wht is over the counter...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• ou need to use RIT on their hair, and wash all sheets/rugs. blankets with bleach! Good luck! Nasty Job..lol
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:20 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I read to use olive oil because it suffocates them.you need to saturate the hair and wrap do this overnight. make sure you get a good lice comb and comb through the hair when you get done wash and comb. gl mama we've had it a few times it really sucks. Plus you would freak if you some them under a microscope.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Somehow, we managed to avoid lice (probably the only family on the block. Here are some remedies that I have held on to in case I need them. For prevention, mix 50% olive oil, 25% tea tree oil and 25% rosemary essential oil (you can get this at a health food store or Whole Foods); massage on scalp and leave on for 15-20 minutes. To cure, you can use mayonaise or coconut oil; put on the hair, wait about 30 minutes, and comb out with a flea comb from a pet shop; follow with the prevention spray. You will need to wash bedding, clothes, pillows, etc.
    Trader Joes has a great shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil and peppermint; these wouldn't hurt, and are great for adolescent, greasy, flakey, scalps.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2010