How to get my 9yr old off the video games?

Im fighting a losing battle in my home. My 9yr old son is playing his video games (playstation3) all day, especially when theres no school or on weekends. Its a fight just to get him to take a break to eat. I have to ask him did he even use the bathroom its like he cant get off. So friends and family think its so easy to just the pull the plug, of course that goes through my mind but then I have to deal with the big baby (husband) who is ten times worse. They both play in seperate rooms and its like I dont win, its getting to the point were im stressed out so bad i lock myself in my room. There's no winning for me i've taken the game, i've screamed, punished, you name it i did it and im at the point were its 2 against me so maybe I should just let it be. Any advise moms??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would say as long as he has his father as an example of playing the games, he's going to do it too. You have to have your husband's support or nothing can get accomplished.
    Anonymous

• Um you are the parent. Just take it away. Really, you have to ask this question???
    Anonymous

• I'm with anon:51. My SO would play all day but the boys don't because their mom says no! I mean I never knew it was so hard to be a parent!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:53 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Don't just take it away, sell it or donate it ... or toss it in the trash. Your son is nine. He isn't nineteen or anywhere near old enough to make his own decisions on how to waste his time. His father is, but obviously isn't interested in teaching his child healthy play or spending much time with him. That means that it's up to you to take charge.

Don't waste time arguing or fighting about it. Get rid of it. If loud howls ensue tell your son that the longer he acts like a baby, the longer it will be before you even think about getting him another 'grownup' toy. Offer to take him to the zoo, get him involved in sports or another group activity. Teach him that there is a lot more in the world than a video game played all alone in his room. That is just no healthy ~ physically, emotionally, or mentally. A nine year old should be begging to play with friends, not shutting himself away like a midget hermit.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I agree. Take it away. Make a schedule of fun things to do instead.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:23 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• i bet they r playing cod or halo,right??? i hate those games with a passion. throw it away before...just throw it away.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 1:28 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Take it away and deal with the tantrums and fits. He'll eventually get over it. Maybe try telling him that once he improves his behavior and stop screaming at you for it, he can start playing it again in small doses. If he then continues to play all the time, take it away for good. Sometimes being a parent and disciplining is harder on the parent than on the child, but sometimes you have to deal with it and do what has to be done. It's not good for him to be playing video games all the time, and it's up to you to make sure he has a well-rounded, productive life for his age. Best of luck, I know how boys are, but ultimately, you are in control...don't forget that.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:47 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Take it away and then sign him up for a sport or activity so he can't whine that he doesn't have anything to do. Look for sports or activities with your YMCA, Boys and Girls Club, or City Recreation Department.There are also vacation bible schools, library programs, daycamps, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I agree 100% with farmlady09.
    Personally, I'd sell it & use the money to enroll him in a sport or other group activity. You may not be able to control what your husband does, but your son is 9, so how much video game time he gets is not up to him.
    I would also reevaluate my relationship with my husband. If he is willing to risk your son's health for a video game, maybe it's time for a wake up call.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 3:20 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• please take it away. especially if he's playing adult (M rated) games, you don't know how annoying it is for us adults when those kids get on there (assuming he's playing Live games) and we cuss a couple times and then the parents freak out... sigh sorry totally different vent.

ya, but take it away and MAKE him do something else...
    Kalebs_mommy23

Answer by Kalebs_mommy23 at 4:54 AM on Jun. 22, 2010