I catch my 20 year old son in some lies. I bring it to his attention and talk about the correct thing to do. What do I do to instill honesty?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• He's 20 right? I hate to be cynical but I think the "instilling honesty" boat has already sailed off to sea. I've heard though that lying is directly tied to self-esteem. He may lie because he is ashamed of something in his life. He's an adult and there really isn't the opportunity to role model honesty. You can confront him and that's about it.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• At this age, that ship has sailed. End of story.
    You can confront him when you do catch him in a lie, but trying to teach him not to lie is over. That should have happened more than 15 yrs ago.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:10 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• You should have done that for the past 20 yrs. You can't instill them now
    Anonymous

• Your house, your rules. If he can't be honest, give him a 30 day eviction notice, and be prepared to follow through.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• You are a bit late to instill anything he is a grown man and the time to do this has passed.

Answer by older at 7:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2010