My Husband passed away three years ago this Sept, my son is saying daddy is talking to him, Should I take my son to see someone.

My son who is six, has been saying daddy visits him and talks to him.
I was shocked when he told me and thought he was lying just being a kid having a strong imaginary, now I have became even more concerned because he will go down the hallway and say can daddy come in the kitchen, he said he loves you and wants you to be happy mommy, I'm scared I dont know how to explain to him that its just is memory re-thinking about daddy, and he thinks the other saying no he visits me when I'm sad and has a conversation with me. shold I get help before this gets worse.?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• how do you know your husbands energy isn't still in your house. have a little faith. he's not crazy, we may die but our energy doesn't.
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:11 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I think talking to someone helps anyone who loses someone they love. It is very possible daddy is talking to him, children are known to sense things that we as adults dont. When my dad died 5 years ago my mom saw him a few weeks later sitting in his chair in the living room, A friend of mine who had never met my dad saw him at my daughters 1st birthday party, and my sister and I both have had strange experiences that make us both believe he is there when things are hard in our lives.

Maybe it would be good for both of you to go talk to a greif counselor but not because your son is seeing his dad. Even if he isnt really seeing him this could just be his way of dealing with it, he is young and maybe this is the easiest way for him to process what has happened.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:22 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Oh wow, you are so blessed. Your husband is probably visiting you both from the other side to bring comfort. You can go see a therapist for him but whatever you do, don't panic. Your son is seeing his Dad and if that eases his loss, I would embrace it. I know, this takes a certain kind of thinking but for those of us that believe, you are witness to something really exceptional and special.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:25 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• gave me goosebumps reading this question and answers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Not really big on the paranormal thing but my son says that he talks to his dead grandpa and knows things he couldn't possibly. Just food for thought.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:00 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I agree with 3 ring circus. I think grief couselling may be a good idea for you both but I don't think there is anything wrong with your son for saying that he talks to his dad.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 9:19 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I wouldnt... Growing up my imaginary friend we believe was my grandfather.. Taking him to a therapist my stop what he is seeing.. Kids are sensitive & probably why they see things we cant.. If its brought to his attention its not "normal" it may stop...
    And IMO i wouldnt mind my kids or myself seeing a past family member...
    Grief counceling would be good for dealing how to move on after loss... but NOT for seeing dad...
    Good luck.. heart goes out to you guys. we lost my dad when I was 15
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:24 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• You might benefit from seeing someone if it's upsetting you but I hardly think a child needs to see a therapist because they're talking to their father.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:28 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Well, I am Catholic, and usually people would think that I wouldnt say this, but why cant his father possibly be there in spirit? Maybe he does see him and talk to him! I spoke to my grandfather ina dream, and it was an important converstion, and it has never happened again, but who says he isnt clarvoyant? (sp) I would embrace the idea!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:10 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I am so sorry for your loss.

My grandmother died over twenty years ago; my dad died almost fifteen years ago. I occasionally hear their wisdom.

Unless you believe that your son is depressed or may hurt himself, you have no need to worry.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2010