How can I get my 18 month back in his crib?

We had a preemie and we have had a few issues. We most recently had surgery where the doctors wanted us to keep a close eye on him so we put him back in bed with us and now we are having the hardest time to get him to sleep in his bed. Not too mention we are both working and finding it easier for us just to put him back in bed with us because he sleeps the whole night....this way we actually get more sleep. Looking for advice.....

TXTOYMOM

Asked by TXTOYMOM at 12:42 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• maybe start with the naps in the crib? Or transfer after he's way asleep?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:14 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Let him sleep with you.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:52 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• If he's happy with you and you're getting more sleep, why complicate it? You've got a good thing going :) The family bed is great.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 7:21 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Hello There,

I kind of agree with the other mom's if you aren't having trouble with him sleeping with you then just let him. My daughter slept with us for along time but I couldn't ever sleep so I let her cry herself to sleep, now she sleeps in her bed from 8pm to 8am it's a lot better. My son who is 4 has just recently moved to his bed because my husband and I would like to have the bed to ourselves, but we told him if he will sleep in his bed 4 days out of the week he can have a special night and sleep with us, I love having him sleep with us so I can snuggle but my husband and I need our time sometimes too. Good Luck I hope you find what works best for you!
    ZaraN

Answer by ZaraN at 8:02 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I think the transfering him is a good start. Or possibly move the crib into your bedroom so he gets used to sleeping in it. Then move the crib back to his room. If he has problems after that, let him cry for a few minutes, go comfort him, then put him back down again and extend the time you let him cry before you comfort him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• She asking for advice how to put him back in his bed, not if she should let him continue sleeping with them.

I had a hard time letting my son cry himself to sleep. But the fact that my sister had the same problem and her husband was complaining that their 6 year old was still sleeping with them changed my mind. but I didn't do it cold turkey. I let him cry for a few minutes, then went to comfort. I extended the time I let him cry. If it went more than 45 miintues, I brought him in with me and when he fell asleep, but him back. If he woke up, I let him cry for a few minutes and did it again. For me, it only took a week of getting little sleep and I've not had a problem since.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• If he won't go back to a crib, get him his own big boy bed. A twin bed with cool sheets and if he rolls, a rail. That way you can start out with him and then when he's asleep, scoot out of the bed and put up the rail. And then gradually shorten the time you spend laying with him til you gradually are just sitting in bed, rubbing his back, reading to him, and then getting up and leaving him on his own to sleep.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:45 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• She asking for advice how to put him back in his bed, not disparaging comments against co-sleeping. Many people co-sleep and move out older children just fine; at least you can reason a bit with a 2-3yo...

At this age he should be able to get in and out of a bed. You may have better luck with a toddler bed as he has a bit more freedom and it is not as confining. You could even start with it in your room so he still has you near but you have your own space.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:47 AM on Jun. 22, 2010