how many words should a 18 month old say??

my daughter says these words:
mommy, daddy, nana, grammie baby, more, thank you, okay, please sorry, uh oh, shoe, yes, no ,whats that?, i love you & she also says her name

In spanish she says Mas for more, hola, she says i love you in spanish

and in sign language she signs more, please, all done, drink, eat, & baby

she only says majority of this if we tell her to like... if she wants something to say please and thank you. she doesnt really just say them on her own.

is this a normal amount of words for her? or should she be having more to say? I talk to her all of the time and tell her everything i do when im doing it i talk to her in full sentences and describe stuff to her...

she also seems to ignore us a lot, her hearing is fine or it was when they tested her and it seems fine, she just will ignore us when we call her name or something maybe just a stage?
Just curious if she is up to date with her vocabular

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OP, your 18 month old says more than mine does. Her pediatrician says she's fine. I'd say your daughter is fine. My daughter says mommy, daddy, grandma, grandpa, both my sisters names, doggie, gg(what we call my great-grandmother), up, thank you, I love you, yes, and no. Oh, and Mickey and Minnie.

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• my 18 month old speaks in complete sentences and depends on the child. einstein didn't speak til he was 3

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• OP here...Could teaching her 3 languages at once also be delaying? Or no?

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• that actually will make her learn a little slower just because she needs to figure out which is which. i learned 2 languages at the same time when i was an infant and it did take a while to decifer the two. once she does figure which is which then learning the 3 will be a major benefit

• Shes actually not YET 18 months.... about 6 weeks and she will be... so i guess almost 17 months?

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• here is a rule of thumb-from a professional pediatric speech therapist:
    at 2 you should be able to understand 50% of what she is saying(how ever or how much she is saying) and then by 3 it is 75%
    i think we put alot of pressure on our kids, and ourselves to do more learn more, ect....she sounds fine mama. :) oh and on the languages, they say kids learn best at the younger ages, its like they are sponges. she doesnt sound delayed at all, not at all.

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:04 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• at 2 my nieces vocab you can understand 100% Even with strangers, same with my nephew!! They are genius'!

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My boys were slow with learning to talk. I was a little worried. But my doc said that if at 18 months they're saying at least 10 words other than mommy and daddy, there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:33 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• When my grandson was 18 mo he said no words. He signed more, drink, and thank-you. He could fetch, sit, and go through the doggie dog (he thinks he is a dog).

He is 21 mo now and is saying grandma, mama, dada, bye, and some random words. He can hum the Star Wars theme song and make Darth Vadar breathing sounds. He understands a lot of words.

Answer by Gailll at 2:51 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My kids spoke quite early. But, children's speaking ability varies. I know someone who spoke at age 4 and he's an honor student now. If your very concerned you can have her checked by a dev ped.

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 3:29 AM on Jun. 22, 2010