When should a child be able to point out different colors?

Even just by asking "Wheres the pink toy? And they point to it?

maybe not say it but know a few different colors when you ask them??

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• if you have a red ball and a yellow ball you should be able to ask a 3 yr old "go get the red ball" and they should know what color red is...2 is a good time to start and therefore by 3 should know at least 4 colors if not more

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• HA! Funny you asked this I was just telling my SO that we need to get some blocks or something with different colors so we can teach them to our daughter! :) i would say... 2 years old? Im not really sure!

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:07 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My boys both knew all their colors at 2 years old. But I've been told that they were way ahead of the game on that one. I taught them with candies. Reward for getting the right color built right in, lol.

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:51 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My son is two and a half years old and knows; orange, blue, pink, red, yellow, white, black, green and purple.

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:24 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• There is no real benchmark for that like there is sitting independently or crawling. Children acquire language at different rates. Just work with your child and continue to have a language rich environment. They learn about 5,000 words by the time they are 3 years old. Read, post pictures with words, talk, talk, talk, correct their little grammar mistakes (this is how they learn grammar), and use lots of adjectives, have your child give descriptions with lots of adjectives, and have them tell stories about the pictures in the coloring books (helps expand that imagination needed for writing stories in school).

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:16 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• mine where all about 1 and 1/2

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:57 AM on Jun. 22, 2010