is it safe for a 3 month old to sit up?

my son is starting to pick his head up to see his feet when i have him in in a cradled position. my mom bought one of those bumbo(sp) thingys and i put him in it and he seems to enjoy it, but my husband is worried about him developing spine problems because he's so young. according to WIC babies should be able to sit on their own by 6 months, so is this 'supported sitting' just a milestone that i really wanna enjoy?? confused :/

mommypeezee

Asked by mommypeezee at 2:02 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• according to any one......babys do things at different ages 6 months is the averg but most without support till later......i have a bumbo and i didnt put my son in it till 8 months if he cant sit on his own dont put him in it your hubby is right its not good for his spine......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I know with an exersaucer you're supposed to wait until 4 months. I don't have a Bumbo. Were there any instructions that came with it? It might say in there.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:14 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• he can sit in it, but i think i will wait another month just to be safe (my mom failed to give me any packaging). when i have him cradled, he gets so frustrated and whimpers when i dont lift him up a little. the only time he likes to lay back is when he's in his bouncer. when he's being held, forget about it he wants to be up lol
    mommypeezee

Answer by mommypeezee at 3:09 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Some kids have the skills, some don't. I remember my sister lifting her head up to look around while they were still in the hospital. Don't know when she started sitting up but I imagine it was early. My son was an early sitter, he was sitting on the sofa by 6 weeks because he hated being horizontal.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:03 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• That Bumbo is NOT safe. It is horrible. It practially folds the baby in half and they can't move out of it. Its very bad for spine developent. NOt to mention it isn't needed. It doesn't help babies sit up. BAbies sit up when they develop the balance, muscle strength and coordination. A bumbo doesn't help any of that.

I would get rid of it personally.

Nothig helpsa baby develop muscle control better than being in arms in a sling/wrap and especially on the floor.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:19 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• i used it for both my 3 month old and they love it. my hubby is a chiropractor, and he was fine with it. it is ment for babues to get a diff view and it does help to build neck and trunk muscles! go for it! when he starts to fuss take him out!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I did. He used to sit against the couch, or in the boppy pilow. He could sit unsupported at 4 months. It was only for short perioda of time and he leaned forward alot, but he could do it, and by 5 months he was a pro. Sat straight up, no support for long periods at a time. I never had a bumbo so i dont know how that works, but as with everything else, practice makes perfect :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I don't know the answer but I want to say it is wonderful your husband cares so much.....not alot of guys do...so just feel blessed that he cares as much as he does
    Anonymous