it hurts his 1 year old 2 poop??

my boyfriends 1 year old just poopped & he was really really straining andthe poop waas super hard and his bottom is sore now. what should we do? hes already drinkin prune juice once a day!

notthamama

Asked by notthamama at 2:09 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Prune juice isn't good for kids. He should stop milk, it's constipating and kids over 12 mo don't need it. Water should be the only drink and make sure the child drinks enough since it is summer. If you are trying to potty train, it is too soon and the child could be holding it in. Make sure the child is eating plenty of fruits and veggies.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:16 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Take him to the doctor!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:50 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Try Apple juice and don't delete it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• One thing you can try is cutting back the milk. Toddles need the calcium and fat in milk, but milk protein when it is in excess can be constipation. A toddler needs NO more than 24 oz in a day but they only need half of their weight in milk. So is a child weighs 20 lbs then they only need 10 oz of milk. My LO went through this. We do 1 10 oz cup of milk, 1 50/50 apple juice/water and anything else for the day is water. The more water they have the easier it is for them to poop.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:11 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I agree with cutting back on milk,, also the applejuice and make sure he is well hydrated,, will he eat veggies? I know fiber is what the doctor ordered, raisin bran, whole grain bread, veggies,,,, if it continues take him to the doctor! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:25 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Everyone will tell you something different. My almost 3 yr old daughter has had constipation problems since she was 18 months...it all started when she got a cut on her butt (from a big poop) and it hasn't been the same since : ( .....first you have to find what in his diet is making him constipated. It truly is different for EVERYONE....that is something that could take MONTHS to figure out. I would try taking certain foods out of his diet for not days BUT WEEKS. Cheese and bananas are HUGE culprits. Also try and get as much fruit and veggies that you can in to that little man. AND a ton of fiber...along with water. We do that with my dd and still it is not enough. Finally almost a year and a half later my doctor put her on a stool softner. She is pee trained but will not go poop on the potty. Now that she is on the stool softner she does go every 2-3 days when before it was eery 4-5 days. I will not stress over the potty bc
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 1:15 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I am just happy she is pooping. PERIOD!
    MrsPilat

• My son had a "pooping problem" he taught him self to hold his poop in becasue it hurt him too much. I took him to the doctors and he was given an x ray poor little guy was full of poop! He was given an enema, and now I make sure he eats a high fiber diet, and he drinks lots of water. I also give him Miralax in his juice every morning, it softens his poop making it easer for him to go.
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Miralax is GREAT! There is NO taste or smell and it dissolves in juice. I have to give my son this every few days to help keep him regular.

Banana's are not that great for kids, so apples and oranges and like mommiedear says, plenty of water and fiber!

I have to monitor the milk, cheese and keep him from banana's. He likes Orange and also Cherry Essence flavored Prunes from Sunsweet and he will eat a few prunes every few days also. He can't stand prune juice either like me.

Good luck!
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 4:45 AM on Dec. 2, 2010