getting 9 month old to sleep in his crib

I have twin boys who are 9 months and they dont sleep in their cribs.
we've got into this bad habit and we need to break it. right now they fall asleep and go to their crib (i know they need to fall asleep IN their cribbut i dont know how to help them learn that) then when they wake up in the night my mom has one boy in her bed in her room and i have one in my bed which is in the twins room.

i need some help, because I dont know how to start to ween them off this bad habit.
my mom suggested starting a routine with them at night so i'm going to start, with a bath, then books then, im lost
should i just put them in their cribs right away like, cold turkey? or should i just work on getting them to stay in their crib al night.
omg help me I'm lost haha.

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 2:16 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies sleeping with their mothers is not a "bad habit". Babies have always slept with their mothers. For it to be safe babies should be breastfed and sleep with their mothers, not grandmothers. This is because breastfed mothers have a symbiotic biological relationship with their babies. They share sleep cycles.

If you are breastfeeding there is no reason you can't sleep with both your babies. In most of the world mothers still sleep with their babies. Babies have a need (not habit) to sleep with their mother. It's not their fault if they aren't breastfed or that they live in the US and are expected to sleep in cribs. You could start with their crib next to your bed.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:30 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• i know this sounds mean but it really work within a week or two......my daughter is almost 11 months old and still wasnt on a sleeping schedule or sleeping anywhere except our bed well my hubby and a friend told me that the fastest way to teach them that they sleep in the crib is put them in it close to their bed time and lay them down say night night and whatever else u do hugs kisses ect and then leave the room and every ten minutes check on them...even if they cry let them cry it out for a lil bit...it dont hurt a baby to cry as long as u know they r ok and changed and fed and all that good stuff....and dont ever use crib as time out area trust me lol so tonight put them in the cribs and let them cry it out even if they cry themselves to sleep it's ok as long as u check on them every 10-15 minutes or so....leave on a dim light or something for them not just pitch darkness......gl
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:06 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I agree with what what anon said. It doesn't hurt them to cry a little. I let my LO CIO but I did it at a much earlier age. Yes, start a routine and but them down while they are kind of drowsy and walk out. Go back and check on them every 10-15 mins. You wouldn't believe how fast this will work. They will be sleeping in their beds by the end of a week. If they wake in the middle of the night you will need to go hug and kiss them and then put them back to bed. This will probably take a little longer because you are trying to break and change the habit. Your mom is going to need to be on the same page as you. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:16 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Most doctors will tell you, put them in there and let them cry! After a few nights it will be the norm and they will stop !
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• If you are all getting sleep whats the problem? It's not a bad habit. Do you want to change for some reason, or just because you think you are "supposed" to? Is someone giving you a hard time? Ignore them.

If you are going to change, I would wait. 9 months is a major growth spurt, major milestones, and teething. You'll be getting up regardless!

I don't get why routine is better than what is working. What happens one day when you decide not to read, or dothe massage, or bath or what have you that takes an hour to accomplish? The tradeoff really isn't better, IMO. The grass isn't greener.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:02 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• first of all i don't think its safe for both of them to sleep with me
    they wake each other up, crying so to have them next to each other in a bed, just doesn't seem possible.
    plus they roll around all night, so I don't want anyone to roll over each other.

I've tried letting them cry it out but I gave up, because he was so sad.
    i guess, i can try, again..................

ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• we had a crib in our room the first month then moved her to the crib in her room! i started a routine at 3 months bath, in pj's we read then bottle and into the bed we let her cry for 3 min tops then go get her. now she is 4 months old and sleeps all night! i would set up a routine and start with the crib in ur room then move them to their room! i know its hard to let the cry but its for the best! u need ur sleep too! i have a hard enough time with just one baby but twins !! u rock just keep up the good work!! :-)
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2010