how bad is coffee for your baby when your pregnant?

I'm about 20 weeks... I enjoy cafinated beverages like soda... or half decaf/half regular coffee maybe 2-3 times a week. I feel like this small about is ok... but i still wonder

jessimatts

Asked by jessimatts at 2:24 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• He loved it while I was pregnant, and he loves it still! Seriously, I had a cup every other day or so of regular, decaf in the evenings occasionally - no problems with the pregnancy or the baby. I was a serious coffee drinker before pregnancy so this was cutting WAAYYYY back for me!
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:13 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• They say 2 cafeinated drinks a day is OK!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:44 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• There was a study in 2008 published by The American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, that found pregnant women who consume 10 ounces of coffee or 25 ounces of tea a day may double their risk of miscarriage.

Here's a quote from the report:

"Pregnant women should try to give up caffeine for at least the first three or four months", said the lead author of the study, Dr. De-Kun Li, a reproductive and perinatal epidemiologist at the Kaiser Permanente Division of Research in Oakland, Calif.

“If, for whatever reason, they really can’t do it, think of cutting to one cup or switching to decaf,” Dr. Li said. “Stopping caffeine really doesn’t have any downside.”

Amigram

Answer by Amigram at 9:45 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• You should be ok, as long as it is occasional. My doc ok'd caffiene to 1-2 a day.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 22, 2010