Is it normal to pump 1oz when I normally get like 4-6oz at a time?

marieNcharles

Asked by marieNcharles at 6:36 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not to discourage, but after about 2 months of pumping, my milk supply started to decrease. I don't know how it was for anyone else, but I started to have less and less milk and I tried everything to increase it, but it just wasn't happening!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:51 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I exclusively pumped and I would get about 3-4 oz at a time. If you are nursing the baby will do a much better job at emptying your breasts than a pump will.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:52 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Yes. Many, if not most women will eventually get down to 1oz per session via pump. The pump just is not as efficient at getting the milk out.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:37 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• After about the first three months after birth, milk is supply and demand driven and not hormonally driven like it is after birth. In the beginning there is ovesupply, as that evens out the pump can not extract as much because it is inefficient compared to a baby.    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:54 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Normal output is 1-2 ozs TOTAL. Any extra is gravy, and if you are 3 or so months out from delivery, then it just means that your supply is regulating. OR you can check your pump and make sure all the connections are secure and all parts are functional and put on correctly. This can also impact how much is removed from the breast.
    mama02040608

Answer by mama02040608 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Pumping is not an indication of supply, some women reposond to a pump some don't.. Some do than don't after a time. I would not worry. I pump less than 2 oz from both breasts and I KNOW that my son eats at least 8 per feeding and I have also nursed a friends daughter ( also an 8oz eater ) for an entire weekend. So I make MORE than enough yet had to borrow 8 oz for a bottle for my son.
    Forget-me-not

Answer by Forget-me-not at 9:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• eat oatmeal and drink lots of water. it will boost supply. i did that for a day and was pumping 6oz every 3 hrs from each breast.
    you can go to www.kellymom.com and she has tons of tips and such on there as well.
    yummy_mommy89

Answer by yummy_mommy89 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2010