9 y/o with migraines?

Does anyone else out there have a child who gets migraines? Headache followed by upset stomach for several hours. What do you do for them? I have almost decided that they may be sugar induced, so we will be very limited on that from here on just to see.

tnwellnessmom

Asked by tnwellnessmom at 7:14 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• While I was researching migraines for myself, I read about children getting abdominal migraines. It does happen, and it is very painful. If your child is complaining of this, please take him or her to the doctor for diagnosis and possible treatment. There's no reason for your child to suffer if this is what he or she has.

And, yes, too much sugar could be a trigger. So could food dyes or other additives.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:39 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Yes, yes, yes ... I went through this with my daughter for over a year. Terrible headaches, awful stomach aches ... and there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to them. Our mainstream pediatrician told us she was a bit constipated (though she went #2 quite regularly) and to do all those common sense things (more water, fruits/veggies, fiber, etc.) which we had been doing all along to no avail. It got so bad that I took her to my son's DAN! doc for an evaluation and it turns out she was sorely lacking in magnesium. We started her on magnesium oxide powder daily (1/4 tsp. mixed in water every nite before bed) and she's been fine every since; all symptoms gone. She was in fact quite plugged up; I could not believe how much was coming out of her that first week she started the magnesium. You might want to give it a try. Good luck.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:47 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I know my brother would get them at school and it was mainly from the sun shinning in the windows. Has teh Dr said waht causes them? I think if you find the triggar you can help control them.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 7:48 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I have been getting them since I was about 7 or 8 years old. They were corrected for a short while with glasses. They then returned with a vengence when I was starting into puberty. I have been having hormonal migraines for 18 years now. They can happen when I ovulate or just before like 3 days or right after like 3 days of my period starting or stopping. I would wager that she is probably in need of glasses to help with them and I would do an eye test at the pediatrician because my actual vision was good but I had a terrible astigmatism that the pediatrician's eye chart can't diagnose. I wish you and her luck and I hope that she feels better.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:49 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• My daughter had those symptoms plus heart palpitations and ringing in her ears... come to find out she was allergic to milk and for 9 yrs we didnt know it!

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 8:20 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• MY daughter is 10 and has both stomach pain and headaches. She was diagnosed with migraines. The neurologist said that Abdominal migraines Do Not have headpain. The migrain is actually the somach pain and may be a precursor to migraine headaches. He also said that kids this age ( prior and on the cusp of puberty) can break the cycle of migraines by using a short term preventative medication taken everyday for about one month. There are many different types. Cut out ALL their caffeine as this is not good. No chocolate, iced teas soda with caffeine even if it is a little bit the child is consumming. A little in a child adds up to a lot for them. It is better to try to break the cycle early then have them be with the child permanently by just using treatment when headaches occur. I do have a history of migraines so hence, I want to break her cycle. Kids can get headaches around puberty that are hormonally driven.Good LucK
    NJMOMOF2

Answer by NJMOMOF2 at 8:49 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• yes, step son 13, if he does not eat

also look into red dye #40 can cause migranes

red 40 in a lot of foods

daughter three can not have, i have reduced my intake and now i have much less migranes

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:08 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Get his eyes checked my daughter was having them and she's 13 and she needed glasses. that's what was triggering her migraines but there is a whole bunch of reasons like too many processed meats I mean the list goes on I know ramen noodles is a big one as is maccaroni and cheese in a box...check out web md..But i would honestly start with the eyes that's the biggest reason a kid would suffer a migraine as I was told by my eye doctor
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Her headaches may e hormonal indicating she is about ready to start having periods (if she hasn't already!) A lot of women get migraines as part of the PMS thing! Have her pediatrician check her out just in case. (Never know if it could be something WAY MORE serious! or something as simple as needing an eye exam. There are plenty of medications on the market to help (like Midrin - this is an OLDER drug, I'm sure there are newer ones available now)
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 4:15 AM on Jun. 25, 2010