whats the best workout in the gym, to lose weight?

i'm 22, 5'3", and i weight 205 lbs. how much time should i spend on cardio per day, and weights every other day? i want to get to 150- at least! just toning up- i dont want to bulk up or anything. according to the personal trainer (one free session)- i have a lot of muscle mass already.

Shy_Dia

Asked by Shy_Dia at 7:53 AM on Jun. 22, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• It's not all about one single workout. It's about combining burning calories with healthy eating, getting the right fluids and enough sleep. The only cardio I do is walking. I do weight training, use resistance bands and stretches. I lost 50 lbs doing just those simple things along with changing my eating habits.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:57 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I have lost close to 50 lbs recently, all I have done was completely changed my eating habits and cardio- I no longer drink pop, or eat fast food a lot, I rarely eat junk food (but I still do, since I crave it). My husband bought me a treadmill and I have been doing combination of running/walking a couple miles a day... let me tell you the weight just fell off!! Now I have added weight training to it also since I need to tone up! I also use resistance bands from the Gold's Gym package and it helps tremendously! Good luck, it is hard to lose the weight, but well worth the fight!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 8:23 AM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Best thing is to stop eating. Why? Because it takes 5 seconds to eat a muffin and two hours to burn off the muffin's calories. Start restricting your calorie intake AND exercise. If you don't do that you will never lose weight.
    deelite12

Answer by deelite12 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• Weight loss is about calories in vs calories out. The best way to do this is through diet along w/ exercise, but truly diet is going to be the most important component in weight loss. Exercise revs your metabolism, but it takes a lot to burn calories and you can't just eat whatever, even if you're exercising. Personally, I do some kind of cardio 6 days a week, but 3 of those, I do a little less cardio and add in some weight training. The most important thing is getting your heart rate up during your workouts. I try to keep my calories between 1200 & 1800 per day. I run and when I run 6+ miles is when I increase my calories. I've lost 65lbs so far.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 4:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I am no expert by any means. When I am just starting out I like to walk on the treadmill. I also love using the elliptical machine. It gives you a good cardio workout and you can take it at your own pace.
    movingmom609

Answer by movingmom609 at 10:26 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I think age plays a huge role as well. Menopausal women need to cut way back on the caloric intake and really increase the time and intensity of exercise in order to lose weight. It's so frustrating.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2010